Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damaging Salmon Redds in Salmon Spawning Streams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
North Liner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Damaging Salmon Redds in Salmon Spawning Streams Reply with quote

In the boat buying part of this forum, someone was commenting on potential damage to salmon spawning streams from jet boats. But there is a much more subtle problem that can have huge impacts on the stream's future salmon runs and that is people tromping around in the stream beds. I've heard that a few steps in a salmon spawning stream can kill upwards of 20,000 salmon eggs because of the chain reaction from messing up the salmon redds. Maybe somebody knows more about this and can explain this better but that is somthing to be careful of if you are fly fishing and walking around in the stream in your waders.
GregM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Damaging Salmon Redds in Salmon Spawning Streams Reply with quote

The best way to determine the best and the worst for our state and the nations streams and rivers, is to contact your local F & G departments.
All agencies have their pros and cons but in general they are looking out for the good of the fish population, and in turn your good healthy fishing experience. Cool
Fish Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: damaging nests of spawning salmon Reply with quote

To Northliner--June 1, 2006

Regarding the item posted by "North Liner" on the subject of damage being done to nests of incubating salmon eggs; The correct term should be destruction of egg nests, not damage to egg nests.
A study done in Montana (published 1993 edition of Trout Unlimited)on the effects of wading around on trout spawning nests, indicated that just one step on a nest of eggs could immediately cause up to 47% mortality on the eggs. As the eggs that were smashed decay, the spores from the dacaying eggs colonize on the good eggs and kill them as well. This is like having a rotten apple in the barrel where eventually all of the apples in the barrel will also rot.
The item posted by "North Liner" also indicated someone had commented on potential damage that could be done to salmon streams by jet boats. This is an understatement. Both jet and propeller powered boats are capable of and do destroy incubating salmon redds. When a redd is destroyed in such a manner the evidence of a destroyed nest disappears as the trout eat the eggs that are blown from an egg nest by the force generated by jet and propeller driven boats. Additionally, fishermen who drag their anchor at times to slow a drifting boat will destroy any egg nest the anchor is dragged through
Engaging in such activities is like planting a vegetable garden and then walking on and driving tractors all over the planted area. Studies on some rivers in Western Washington have indicated a mortality rate of 97% on eggs and fry.
Until such in-stream activities are regulated during periods of egg incubation, the salmon resource will continue to decline. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on attempts to restore salmon runs. Nothing has been done to regulate such fish destroying activities that continue unabated. It doesn't cost anything to not do things that destroy salmon redds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Periods of time for egg incubation Reply with quote

Good points on damaging salmon redds. What is the typical period of time for the incubation period during which the eggs are most vulnerable? I'm sure it varies for salmon species but what about sockeye salmons for instance?
Fish Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: damage to salmon spawning streams Reply with quote

To Guest... The WDFW can tell you what you want to know about the spawning and incubating periods for the various species of salmon and other data that deals with spawning and incubating. Different areas vary. Destroying fish redds is a very serious problem that has not been addressed. Solving the problem of redd destroying activities will not occur without restrictions imposed by the legislature that will put an end to destructive activities that have a very negative effect on the ability of salmon to reproduce. People need to talk to their legslators.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Salmon redd destruction Reply with quote

Seems like there is a public awareness issue. Most people do not have the slightest idea that they could be damaging the salmon redds by walking through the streams. It's not just other fisherman but also campers, hikers and so on. As a State and as individual fisherman, we spend a lot of effort with fishery restrictions, etc. to get these fish back to spawn and it is a shame that it could get ruined because people are ignorant of the potential problem of salmon egg damage in the stream long after the salmon spawn. I see on catch basin drains on certain roads where it says something to the effect of "Warning, Drains To Fish Habitats." That was the result of an effort to make people aware of the water contamination problems from oil and antifreeze, etc. Why not put signs at trail heads or on the local maps to warn of ie “Sensitive Habitat Areas – Salmon Redds” or whatever, to start getting the point across. The state biologists must know which areas are at most risk. Seems like they should also promote some type of campaign.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Destruction to Salmon Spawning Streams Reply with quote

I agree, there'd be more fish for all if the eggs get a chance to hatch. We need to get the word out there so people can be careful.
saisl184

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently visited dosewallips State Park and spent most of the time wandering about the redds. I had no idea that we were doing damage. Thanks for the info. I will pass that on to my friends. .....
Gobbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: damage to salmon streams and redds Reply with quote

I think the State Fish and Wildlife need to post signs at accessible spawning streams to warn of the problem. Sort of like what some cities do where they post a lable next to street drains saying something to the effect of "Drains to Salmon Habitat" etc
Sam55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Salmon Redd Damage in Streams Reply with quote

This cause of damage to salmon redds makes alot of sense to me. I was at a party the other night with fly fishing guys and they were talking about this posting and the long term effects of stomping around in salmon streams so I had to see for myself. Glad someone is worrying about this! I like to saltwater fish for salmon and it's more fun when there are plenty of fish. Thanks for pointing out the problem.
Gene Samuelson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Damaging Salmon Beds Reply with quote

I found this on the internet and i like what i read. we need fishing associations like Trouts Unlimited to start to spread the word. sort of like the littering campaigns back in the 60's which made people feel uncomfortable about littering, gotta bring a little social pressure on the uninformed offenders!
SmokeyB

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Salmon Redd Damage in Streams Reply with quote

just checking back and cruising the postings and glad to see this info on protecting the salmon eggs in streams. I've seen the problem and it's for real. take heed and please watch your step. it will make a difference to the health of salmon streams and returning runs. thanks
Lonnie D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Damaging salmon eggs in streams Reply with quote

Totally agree, not hard just show a little concern, every bit helps protect the salmon resouce
Duane Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Damaging fish Redds and salmon eggs Reply with quote

Gotta tell your friends and anyone who'll listen. It's a public relations thing like training people to not litter, or to recycle, etc. Tell them to go read about the problem on sites like this and get educated. Exclamation
Sam Urlach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Protecting Salmon Streams Reply with quote

I love to fish in the saltwater for salmon as well as and flyfish in streams and rivers and I stumbled onto this posting. I agree, when flyfishing in fishing in streams, creeks and rivers it's easy to be careful around the salmon redds. Just gotta pay attention and watch what you are doing and not tromp all over the gravel. If we want the salmon runs to build up we all need to do our part!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flyfishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: