Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you a Closet Galley Gormet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Are you a Closet Galley Gormet? Reply with quote

If you are interested in learning or sharing your ideas recipes etc. Please feel free to start a topic.......
Panda38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Best Ever Salmon Sauce! Reply with quote

I have cooked salmon for years on boats, beaches and patios alike. I have lots of great recipes that I swear by, but the best ever was just recently introduced to me. We had a 50 pound Chinook King Salmon from Alaska which I carted over the mountains to a cattle roundup dinner at a ranch in Eastern Washington. One of the fellows offered to do the cooking if I filleted the salmon. So I agreed, wondering what we would get in the way of a tasty salmon dinner.

He sautéed a full clove of garlic with one cube of butter with the burner turned down low. The garlic had been finely diced up into small pieces. He sautéed it for 20 or 30 minutes. Then added this sauté to a medium sized cooking pan along with approximately 1 ½ to 2 cups of soy sauce. He let that simmer another 20 minutes and that became the garlic soy sauce. We sectioned the two salmon fillet sides into dinner size servings and put them individually onto a hot Barbeque, skin side down. No foil. We basted on the sauce liberally. Once partly cooked, we flipped the salmon onto the flesh side and lifted off the skin. (In some cases, the skin came off by sticking to the grill. A little spray-on Pam before hand cures that problem.) We now had another “flesh” side to which we painted on more of the garlic soy sauce.

The larger pieces of salmon also got turned onto their other sides followed by more basting of the sauce. The key, as always when cooking salmon, is to not to over cook it. Stop just when it will flake apart with a fork or knife.

The salmon was fantastic. Best I’ve ever had. Surprisingly enough, it was not too salty. The next time I used the recipe, I tried it with a low-salt soy sauce just to be safe. By the way, since this was a cattle roundup event, we had plenty of fried “Rocky Mountain Oysters” to accompany the salmon. Best “Surf and Turf” I have ever had!
Sara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Salmon Reply with quote

That recipe sounds delicious.

Now if I could just go catch a salmon.

My favorite easy way to cook salmon is in a foil bag in the oven. I throw the salmon on some foil, add cubed-unsalted butter, add lemon slices and pepper adn then cook for about 45 minutes. This does not sound as yummy as your recipe, but with 2 small children it is often hard to mind the grill...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Living Aboard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: