Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Running Light Lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Replacement Running Light Lenses Reply with quote

I have an older (1972) sailboat. While the running lights do work, the colored lenses (both red and green) have faded. Currently both the starboard and port lights appear white. Having tried several marine stores, I have not been able to find replacement lenses that fit.

What are my options? I attempted to find translucent paint that might cover the lenses but have had no luck.

Any advice would be appreciated.
sailori38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Replacement Running Light Lenses Reply with quote

Well, you have some really limited options...

First, there is not really good way to 'paint' the lens. The lens is factory dyed to allow an even, set amount of light through them. Any kind of coating that you put on them will reduce the brightness of the lens. Having said that, there are theatrical liquid tins that would 'colour' the lens (I used red for my inside lights) but the tint has to be reapplied and is not UV or marine durable.

If you really like the lenses, I would try local used marine parts places. Here in the Pacific Northwest, they are located in most coastal cities and many of the smaller towns! (Port Townsend springs to mind).

Truthfully though, for all the labor and time, I would upgrade to some new lights from Aqua Signal and be done with it.
http://www.aquasignal.net/
They are now making nice LED (never replace the bulbs! and use less power on your boat) running lights.

"Aqua Signal offers a complete line of LED Navigation Lights using state of the art technology with patented Prism lens technology. Low power consumption (80% less power consumption compared to incandescent bulbs). Longer service life saving time and money. Operate on 12 or 24 volt system without modification. Exceed USCG visibility requirements. Certified ABYC A-16. Easy Installation. "

Sailor Ingrid 38
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: