Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riproaringca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal? Reply with quote

Hi all.
I've had some luck removing the bolts along the side of my 318's oil pan in order to replace the gaskets. It's a bit of a contortionist's act to get at them while the motor's in the boat, but it's do-able.

I have yet to figure out how the bolts on the back end of the oil pan are removed. I discovered that there are two nuts found on a long, threaded shaft that leads through the transmission bell housing and to the cast oil pan. There is one nut on each side of the bell housing on this threaded shaft. I was able to loosen both on the port side, BUT I still don't understand how this is able to free the oil pan.
Has anyone ever taken an oil pan off of the motor whether it was in the boat or perhaps outside of the hull during an overhaul?

So far I've been going only by 'feel' not sight. My next step is to get under the deck and try to get a look at what I'm working on. Sounds like a logical first step, I know. But stuffing myself down there isn't my first choice if someone can help out with my question listed above!
Chrysler M273 318
Chemong Lake, Trent-Severn Waterway
Ontario, Canada
----------------------------------------------
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal? Reply with quote

Hello riproaringca, for some unknown reason Chrysler Marine designed the oil pan with two studs that go into the bell housing. I don't remember if there are nuts on the back side of the bell housing or not. Bottom line, the oil pan has to be droped and be pulled forward to remove it. This will be difficult with out pulling the engine away from the bell housing. The rear crankshaft journal may not allow the oil pan to be slid forward even if there are nuts on the back side of the bell housing.
riproaringca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrysler 318 Oil Pan Removal? Reply with quote

MikeW wrote:
Hello riproaringca, for some unknown reason Chrysler Marine designed the oil pan with two studs that go into the bell housing. I don't remember if there are nuts on the back side of the bell housing or not. Bottom line, the oil pan has to be droped and be pulled forward to remove it. This will be difficult with out pulling the engine away from the bell housing. The rear crankshaft journal may not allow the oil pan to be slid forward even if there are nuts on the back side of the bell housing.

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I've been told that the studs are to help increase rigidity through the engine/transmission connection.
I'll be taking a closer look this evening to see if I can figure this one out. Wish me luck!
Chrysler M273 318
Chemong Lake, Trent-Severn Waterway
Ontario, Canada
----------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Engines All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: