Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBL24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: THIS SITE IS GREAT!!! Reply with quote

HEY THERE, HOPE EVERYONE'S SUMMER HAS BEEN FUN AND SPENT ON THE WATER! MY NOT SO MUCH, BUT IT'S OK. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE WENT FISHING A FEW TIMES AND BEEN OUT WATER SKIING A FEW TIMES. WE HAVE A 2001 SMOKERCRAFT 4.3L MERCRUSIER, BUT A FISHING TRIP WAS RUINED ABOUT A MONTH AGO DUE TO A BOAT RUNNING RUFF AND THEN QUITTING AND NOT STARTING. WE FOUND A PLUG IN THE BACK OF THE ENGINE OUT AND SO WE THOUGHT OUR PROBLEM WAS FIXED BUT WHEN WE FIRED IT UP IT STILL RAN RUFF AND BLEW BLACK SMOKE. IT HAS GREAT SPARK OFF THE COIL AND HAS PLENTY OF FUEL IN THE CARB, PLENTY OF AIR, SPARK, AND GAS. SO WE ARE TRYING SOME TUNE-UP PROCEDURES LIKE CHANGING PLUGS AND WIRES, DIST CAP AND ROTOR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. IF ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTIONS PLEASE, BRING THEM ON! BUT THIS SITE HAS EVERYTHING WE NEED AND IS SO EASY TO NAVIGATE THROUGH, I'M GLAD I FOUND IT AND I HOPE OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED SO WE CAN GET ON THE WATER MAYBE A FEW MORE TIMES THIS YEAR!
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: 4.3 Mercruiser black smoke Reply with quote

Hello LBL24, I would pull off the flame arrestor and check to see if the choke is working correctly. It should heat up quickly when the ignition switch is on. If it is working correctly, look down into the carburetor when the engine is running. There should be no raw fuel dripping or running down the carburetor. The fuel should be a mist. You may have a bad float or a stuck needle and seat.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Tune up then carb clean 4.3l Mercruiser Reply with quote

A Tune up is always the first order of business with a rough running engine - it gives you a baseline to work from.

The first thing I will address is that 90% of all carb/fuel problems are electrical. I have sung this one before, but there are more things that go wrong, more often, with the electrical system than anything else. If I have a choice and am not sure – I always go with electronic/electrical over fuel.

Having said that,

Seafoam is the real deal. I hate witch potions BUT this one has consistently saved me. You can do a poor man’s carb ‘rebuild’ (cleaning it up) by;
1. Remove the fuel line and put it into the can of Seafoam.
2. Disconnect coil, you are not trying to start the engine.
3. Crank the engine over until you figure you have pumped in Seafoam instead of fuel.
4. Reconnect the fuel line
5. Crank it over for maybe, 30 seconds
6. Install some new plugs
7. Start her up

I have had very, very good success with this procedure for engines sitting for years! Then use the Seafoam, double strength on your last run of the year.

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: