Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Persistent odor from the Head

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatfisherBurt

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Persistent odor from the Head Reply with quote

Got a bad smell in the head. Even when no oneís been in there. Someone mentioned the hoses might be the problem but Iíve tightened them plenty and do not see any leaks. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Panda38

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Smelly head and smelly boat hoses Reply with quote

Could be the hoses are old and the smell permiates itself into and through the walls of the hose. A good test is to wipe clean the outside of the hose and then take a hot wet rag and wrap the hose for a short period and then take the rag outside and smell the rag. If it smells you need to buy new hoses.
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Bad smell in Boat Head Reply with quote

I've tried the wet rag approach and it works. I also find an older rubber hose in the system and those do leak the smells. Need the white or green santitation hoses. But they are a pain to work with.
Sam55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: sanitation hoses for heads Reply with quote

The santitation hoses are a pain but try dipping the ends in super hot water to soften them up before pushing onto the hose barb fittings. Even a little soap on the fitting can help but I always worry about having the soap sitting there forever. I don't know why since the hoses are practically impossible to get off the fitting anyway.
Sparks

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Sanitation Hoses for Heads on Boats Reply with quote

I've installed many of these sanitation hoses on boats and the ticket is to first soak the hose in a coffee cup of hot water for a few minutes then pour hot water on the fitting so it does not cool off the hose upon contact. Then push hard with a little back and forth twisting. Be sure you have good leverage to push with because you'll porbably need it. Pour more boiling water on it if needed. Use double hose clamps if you cannot get it on as far as normal. Good luck but it's not that bad if you get it hot!.
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Bad smell in Boat Head Reply with quote

Hot water is the ticket AND a little soap. You only get one shot at it then you have to pour more hot water on the hose and fitting to get it further on, or off so you can start over. So I'd use the soap and make it count on your first try! And get your body in a good position where you can push hard. I wrenched my shoulder the other day by not being ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Heads & Plumbing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: