Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sunken marine battery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedub88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: sunken marine battery Reply with quote

my friend has a deep cycle marine battery and trolling motor for his canoe. In april everything sank to the bottom of the river (3-4 feet). Now after two months of drying, is it okay to charge and use the battery or is it junk?
Troy K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: sunken marine battery Reply with quote

I am not sure but I'd say if the battery plates have been covered by water the whole time that is a good thing since the plates will not oxidize. I was told once that if it is saltwater then it acts like an electrolite and the battery discharges and a chlorine compound is made. Either way, if you smell chlorine while charging you better STOP. You may need to test the electrolite and add some if necessary. BE CAREFUL< a new battery is not that expensive>
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: