Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Need of Alpha 1 U-Joint and Boot Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyler4321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: In Need of Alpha 1 U-Joint and Boot Advice Reply with quote

Just got a 03 Alpha 1 4.3L. It was not run this year. Found a broken shift cable boot and very small amount of water in the gear lube. Pulled the drive and found water in the u-joint boot. There is rust on the yokes from soaking in an inch of water. Looks like the gimbal bearing is junk. The u-joints are GKN perma-lube and feel good.

When I push the drive up, I don not see any cracks or other signs of degradation to the U-joint bellows. The failed shift cable bellows is full of small cracks when stretched.

Should I replace the u-joints and the u-joint bellows?

Thanks for the help.
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace all the bellows and gimbal bearing. If the u-joints are free and smooth I would not bother changing them. Sierra makes a kit with all the parts you will need. To see it Click Here: Bellows Kit Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercruiser All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: