Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5.7L stalling when going to neutral while docking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apache698@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: 5.7L stalling when going to neutral while docking Reply with quote

Hello...

I own a 1990 Sea Ray 230 with a 5.7L mercruiser engine that had the carb rebuilt before I bought it about 2 months ago.

I recently noticed that the engine will stall almost every time when pulling throttle to neutral after idling into towards dock. It immediately re-fires but the stalling is driving me nuts when I am trying to dock.

I have to idle into the harbor at about 1250-1500 rpms for about 20 mins and it seems that I get the stalling only after idling for that long (going out of the dock and harbor seems fine)

I think that the only thing that I need to do is bump up the idle a little but I am not sure where the idle set screw is and don't want to randomly adjust it.

Help. Question Shocked
MikeW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, if the engine idles smooth at 700rpm's the carburetor is not the problem. Mercruiser uses a lower shift cable for the drive. This cable works in series with a momentary kill switch located up on the shift cable plate. When the cable gets old and stiff, it reacts too slow and makes the momentary kill switch engage for a longer period of time killing the engine when shifting. The solution, replace the lower shift cable. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercruiser All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: