Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 or 4?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted655

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: 3 or 4? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to bring a houseboat from Indiana to Louisiana via the rivers. It occurs to me a spare prop would be something to carry.
The I/O is a diesel Volvo Penta. It has an alum 3 om it now. I'm wanting a SS prop & curious about a 4 blade in place of the 3?
This boat don't plain, it's all about power in those river currents.
Do I increasr pitch, drop dia. if going to a 4 blade? Also I see part of the info asked for is hub length. Short hub, long hub. This is an old boat, 1984. I doubt there is any paperwork on the engine or drive. So how do I determone?
Thanks, Very Happy
Hal C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: 3 or 4 blade prop for boats Reply with quote

Ted655, Sounds like a good idea to get a spare prop for your trip. Maybe also get a spare end hub, cotter pin, nut, etc.

Concerning your question on 3 blade props vs. 4 blade props, it depends on a few things including the horsepower you have available. You'll need to remove some pitch for the 4 blade prop and there is a formula available to do this. We sell lots of props at Go2marine.com for many different types of boats, I'll have MikeW add a post to Boatersline explaining what's involved. Please let us know if you have others questions after you read his post. Good Luck, Hal C
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: 3 or 4 blade prop for boats Reply with quote

Hello Ted655, I'm writing an article about this very subject. It will be posted in Boaters Line in a few days. It will take the mystery out of selecting the right propeller as well as converting from a 3 bladed Propeller to a 4 bladed Propeller.

Propeller Finder
http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/mfr/michiganwheel/prop.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Props All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: