Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

351 merc will not fire???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shameless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: 351 merc will not fire??? Reply with quote

Hey I recently purchased a 1977 22ft sea ray with a 351 Merc. It has been running great. I had it out about twenty/thirty times and for hours on end. I fired it up and turned on my blower fan and ten minutes later it just died. Now it turns over but will not start. we pulled plugs and the left side had a little moisture but not major. There is spark at coil and cap. It also is getting fuel. Any ideas????????? Question
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, pull a spark plug, connect the plug wire and hold the electrode against the block. Turn the engine over and see if the plug is getting spark. Cool
Shameless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeW wrote:
Hello, pull a spark plug, connect the plug wire and hold the electrode against the block. Turn the engine over and see if the plug is getting spark. Cool
Thank you very much Mike will do.......
Shameless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: No luck, will not fire Reply with quote

Mike I do have spark at plugs but did find some condensation, so changed them anyway. I am headed to put on new coil, cap, and rotor. do you have any other ideas???? thanks,
MikeW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting spark and fuel for sure, it should run unless the engine jumped time. I would pull the spark plugs and do a compression test. You should have 120psi or more. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercruiser All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: