Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1987 40hp Evinrude E40TLCUD PROBLEM!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstefano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: 1987 40hp Evinrude E40TLCUD PROBLEM! Reply with quote

Hello,
The driveshaft on my 1987 evinrude 40 hp motor snapped clean.
Model #: E40TLCUD
I was having touble with the motor before it broke... It would often stay stuck in forward, or stuck in reverse. ( was very frustratting and dangerous) I think that the drive shaft snapped because I must have hit a wave or something the it went from full speed forward to full speed reverse instanly so it just snapped.
If anyone has any idea what could have caused this i would be very gratefull for some help.

Ok in the meantime I am shopping for a drive shaft to replace it. I cannot seem to find any anywere... It is a 20 inch long shaft.
I also wanted to know if I could possibly take a drive shaft from another model evinrude I just dont know which ones and what year is compatible with mine.

Thanks!!!
P.Stefano
Deckhand67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Driveshaft Reply with quote

The driveshaft is an OEM part only. I wouldn't waste time trying to swap it unless you have the same motor you are parting out.

The part number is OMC 396811.

You can be sure Mike at Go2marine knows where to find it. Give him a call.
pstefano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the dealership and they gave me this number 396812 not the one u gave me...
Thanks
pstefano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also baught myself a omc repair manual and am mentally preparing myself to get this done haha. I hope that the number the dealer gave me was right because i just baught the drive shaft off ebay for 100$... The guy said that the number is written in it so im guessing i should be safe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: