Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hynautic steering problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Hynautic steering problem Reply with quote

I just replaced the seals on my helm steering --however when I turn to port it just keeps turning to starboard is ok it stops and locks---I bled the sustem both from the 3 lines at the helm and also at the piston near the rudders--the rudders do move the full range of motion in both directions --just the turning to port doesn't stop'lock even though rudders are turned all the way--did I miss something--pressure has been at 30-40 and as low as 10-15 with same results --any help would be greatly appreciated --this is on a
Silverton 40 aft--1988 Sad [/b]
boatScotty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Hynautic steering problem Reply with quote

If no one else came up with some ideas, I have a few questions to help maybe put some heads together...

1. Is the boat in a place where you can see the rudders move (like out of the water)
2. If in the water, can you check the full movement inside? How about the 'force' of the movement port to starboard? Are you telling me that it has more force in one direction?
3. So do you mean when you turn to port that you can keep turning the wheel after your rudder has moved to the port limit?

Air on the port side is the first guess. Air in the system somewhere is the second. Third, you have something assembled wrong (seems far less likely).

Let me know and I will ask the guys here at the shop to think about this one...

Marine Tech.
fcpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: hynautic steering Reply with quote

Scott-

I purged all air and yes you can turn to port after the rudders have reached their stop position---any help would be appreciated --I bled air both from helm unit and piston in engine area
boatScotty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Bleeding Hynautic System Reply with quote

So that we are on the same page, I am thinking you either have some air in the end of the cylinder when it is all the way to port OR you have something wrong in the helm. There could be fluid contamination, but that should show up to Starboard as well

http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/download/Hynautic_bleeding_instructions.pdf

If you are bleeding it well, the fluid is clean - then the problem lies with a seal or valve or assembly

Marine Tech.
Don Galen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Hynautic steering/throttles Reply with quote

I also have Hynautic systems for both throttle control and steering which is now 20 yrs old. Recently upper helm throttle does not move in sync with lower, which limits engine rpm. Is this likely an air issue, and if so, suggestion on how I would bleed the line. Hydraulic pressures all OK in tank.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Hydraulic Steering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: