Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8.1s Mercruiser Horizons, Check Starboard Engine Diagnostic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pseudomind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: 8.1s Mercruiser Horizons, Check Starboard Engine Diagnostic Reply with quote

The alternator has since been changed, with the same results.

What the codes show is from what I have been told is that the voltage drops below 13.5 volts, which in turn is enough to open the voltage to the fuel pump, which then shuts the engine down.

I say heat related NOT to be confused with the cooling system and the engine running hot. The engine temperature gauges both show right at 160 degrees when this happens.

The only erratic reading is the starboard engine voltage meter at the helm. BUT this only happens after one has been running for a period of time, perhaps as long as an hour or more. It starts fluctuating back and forth between about 12 volts to over 14 volts, then the engine shuts down and I receive a "Check Starboard Engine diagnostics" message every minute.

When I left out yesterday the starboard engine voltage meter was reading slightly over 14 volts, while the port was reading a bit less then 14 volts.

NOTE: This does not show up right away, only after everything has warmed up to a certain degree, ambient operating temperature

The two times before this I was headed down the St.Johns towards the Outback Crab shack, maybe 10 miles, and when I had made it just pass the Doctors Lake inlet cut off. Is when it happened. I had been on plane cruising at around 3200-3300 RPM, it shuts down the Starboard engine. The engine will restart, but I have to Cruise back at less then 2000 RPM

Thanks
dvddave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using jell batterys by any chance? DVDDAVE.
Pseudomind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvddave wrote:
Are you using jell batterys by any chance? DVDDAVE.

Yes, for both Port and Starboard engines came with the boat when I purchased in August 2008.

Sorry for the delay in answering , my significant other is having heart catheter work being done.
dvddave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Pseudomind thats what thought from the simptons i read.Jell batterys are nothing but problems. I had a boat with crazy volt readings. one minute battery would read 8v the next 15v with the 8v reading you would think the battery was dead nope has pleanty of cranking power.Did not make any sense to me. Put a standerd battery in problem went away. Volt meter started reading normal again. Ill bet if you put in a standard battery you should all set.Jell batterys stress out the alternator. Let me know how you make out. PLAYSAFEDVDDAVE.
Pseudomind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: The problem was this Fuel relay and also replaced ECM relay Reply with quote

Apparently the fuel relay after a period of time and the temperature increasing in the bilge area, it would for lack of a better word open up (chatter a bit). This is a normally closed relay when actuated so as long as the contacts are made the engine will run as it allows the fuel pump to run. But, when it (chattered) it opened the contacts, causing the fuel pump to quit pumping shutting down the engine.

Since the ECM relay was probably the original, changed them both out, about $130.00 in parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercruiser All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: