Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

40 ft trawler repower

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelldlr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: 40 ft trawler repower Reply with quote

I have a 40 ft trawler with a 120hp Lehman Diesel 6D380 with 7,800 hrs. I am considering repowering. Any suggestions? A new Lehman, John Deere, other?
boatScotty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Diesel Repower options Reply with quote

Well, are you thinking of keeping with about the same horsepower? Why are you considering repowering?

Look at Iveco N67 MNA M15 (150hp), the John Deere 6068 or the Turbo 4045 if space is tight or a Perkins Sabre M130C - all are 6's in about the same size / hp range (except for the 4045).

You can have that engine rebuilt and it will give you long service.

Marine Tech.
russelldlr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Repower options Reply with quote

boatScotty wrote:
Well, are you thinking of keeping with about the same horsepower? Why are you considering repowering?

Look at Iveco N67 MNA M15 (150hp), the John Deere 6068 or the Turbo 4045 if space is tight or a Perkins Sabre M130C - all are 6's in about the same size / hp range (except for the 4045).

You can have that engine rebuilt and it will give you long service.

I am keeping about the same horsepower. I am considering repowering because I have been told that parts for the Lehman are getting hard to get and that a rebuilt won't be as reliable as new. (Taking extended trip to Alaska next year)

What do you think about the Cummins 6BT 210 hp?

Thanks for the help! Don
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello russelldlr, Cummins is a good choice. I also think you should take a look at Yanmar. You can't go wrong with either one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Engines All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: