Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3.0 to 2.5 swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old King Cole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: 3.0 to 2.5 swap Reply with quote

Lost oil pump and toasted the crank bearings etc.
Found a 2.5L out of a S10 p/u cheap, can I swap this in place of the 3.0 w/o too much problem?
They look the same to the naked eye but ya never know.
I was even thinking of maybe just using the short block with the 3.0 head might save some head aches. Will the smaller displacement cause any other issues I need to look out for other then re tuning.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: 3.0 to 2.5 swap Reply with quote

The simple answer is this...

Marine Engines have the same block as an automobile engine BUT there are many things that are changed to make them work in a boat... from the oil pan, oil pump to internals, camshaft, carb, electricals, etc.

A boat engine might run at 4500 all day, where a vehicle engine will soon be killed by that kind of running.

And swapping to power down is never the way to go. There is substitute for cubes! Very Happy

Marine Tech.
Old King Cole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.0 to 2.5 swap Reply with quote

boatScotty wrote:
The simple answer is this...

Marine Engines have the same block as an automobile engine BUT there are many things that are changed to make them work in a boat... from the oil pan, oil pump to internals, camshaft, carb, electricals, etc.

A boat engine might run at 4500 all day, where a vehicle engine will soon be killed by that kind of running.

And swapping to power down is never the way to go. There is substitute for cubes! Very Happy
Wow i never pushed her that hard 3700 is the highest ever had her to! usualy stick her around 3000-3500 range. It's a pretty old older boat that probably really should be just scraped, what from all the duct tape holding the vinly together to the patch work carpeting and scratches in the hull LOL The thing is I can't afford a new boat and a marine short block is going to cost roughly $100 more then I'd value the boat at running ($1500 vs $1600), While I can get this 2.5 block for just a few hundred bucks.

Anyways so what is different internally that would stop this from working or is just power/relibilty issues. I had planned on using every thing off the 3.0 that I possibly could (carb, manifolds, electrics) and buying a new oil pump. Swaping pans won't be an issue since I have to pull that to change the oil pump.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: 3.0 to 2.5 swap - for the starving... Reply with quote

Ok, give it a try with swapping all the gear over. Do get a marine cam though.

Good luck!

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> OMC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: