Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel steered and tiller steered maintenance requirements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoatWoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Wheel steered and tiller steered maintenance requirements Reply with quote

Wheel steered and tiller steered vessels have specific maintenance requirements. Failures can be caused by many things, depending on whether you have a mechanical or hydraulic steering system installed on your vessel.

System failure can be caused by corrosion, which can deteriorate the component materials to the point they affect the maneuverability of the parts. Crying or Very sad Make sure to check equipment manuals in the vessel maintenance log book for replacement part lists or a steering data chart and system maintenance requirements.

By following the manufacturer specifications, the steering cable end fittings and the engine cable support must be cleaned and greased periodically; these simple operations will minimize wear and corrosion in the steering system.

When storing a boat, keep the cable out of direct sunlight whenever possible as UV rays deteriorate the plastic outer jacket covering the cable. When using your vessel in saltwater, a freshwater bath can also benefit the life and function of the cable assembly, especially on outboards. Early signs that a cable is deteriorating include a faded outer jacket, cracks and/or swelling. These indicators typically point out that the cable needs replacing.

Following simple steps to keep the system in good working order will also increase the lifetime of the components.

Most substantial steering system will have an electrical and/or electronic component also, i.e. an autopilot; these electrical components are also a potential cause of system failures.

Have any of you run into an interesting situation where this tip would have prevented an accident or failure?
sailorc30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Wheel steered and tiller steered maintenance requirements Reply with quote

When I purchased my boat, it had a very weathered wooden helm that had been left uncovered to endure the elements for several years. Given it is not a huge cockpit and was originally built with a tiller, I can almost understand the previous owners reasoning for this wooden helm as it was quite a bit smaller than what is customary for this size boat.

However, the creaking and groaning coming from this antique whenever the boat even slightly heeled made me quite uncomfortable, I kept imaging that with a few more degrees I would be left holding twigs in my hands. Finally had enough and replaced it with a shiny new stainless steel helm.

Although I have lost some space and must carefully navigate my way around the cockpit without kicking the throttle controls or getting caught up in the helm, the peace of mind this new wheel brings is immense.

Now you mention cables which reminds me I never did look down below to see what shape it is all in. I'll certainly take care of that before my next trip.

Thanks for the reminder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mechanical Steering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: