Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overheating problem with my 6.2 Mercruiser Horizon

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Overheating problem with my 6.2 Mercruiser Horizon Reply with quote

During my last trip on our Formula she started to overheat and triggered the alarm. I let her cool down and then fired her up and let idle for 3 - 5 mins. The temp gauge went up very quickly.

I have checked the intakes on the legs, no noticeable leaks on the engine, coolant level is good, no obstructions in the heat exchanger. Could this be a problem with the thermostat, even though it appears to be working on the temp gauge? Or is there something I am missing that is a know issue/problem.

One thing I have noticed recently is the need to top off the coolant antifreeze on a regular basis (no more than 1/2 a cup a time). Also, when I checked the coolant levels after idling I noticed the expansion chamber level was still at the "cold" level?

Any help/comments are welcome.

Marc.
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Marc, it sounds like the raw water pump impeller is bad. Have you checked it?
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Overheating problem with my 6.2 Mercruiser Horizon Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, greatly appreciate your response and funnily enough this was the planned next step. I'll let you know how I make out.

Regards,

Marc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: