Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Board or On Bored

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: On Board or On Bored Reply with quote

There are many Joys and fun times that can be attributed to living on board your own vessel. It is all in what you can make of it.

While being a live-a -board you must maintain your quarters as you would in any other dwelling. Tideness IS NEXT to,well you know.

The other side of the program is with family. Especially with kids or pets aboard you need to keep everyone occupied. Or it really does become boring. The wife( Captain) gets to the point that she and the younguns will keel - haul you or anyone else that has not helped to get a good healthy
environment,and plenty to do. Rainy days on a boat can be deadly.

You can be your own worse enemy by not standing firm about daily duties
and free time adventures. There really is plenty to do if you put your mind and back to it.

The main thing is to not let the ship become a SCOW. Keep on top of things, and do not become bored.
sally j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure you need to keep things picked up because it really is a problem for the other occupants because they cannot get away from all of your stuff laying around. Better have a strong marriage!!
becca e

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: living on board Reply with quote

I've never lived on board a vessel before and can't say that I'd ever want to. it's enough to have a husband in a 2000 sq ft house yet a long a 30 foot vessel....
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Living onboard Reply with quote

You should only live on board in a place where the weather is nice so you can get off the boat more often. And not be closeted away with the same person during dark and dreary wintermonths. ugh!
GregM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: On Board or On Bored Reply with quote

Ah, This is the time of the year that in many parts of the world, being a live-a-board can be tedious. You need to maintain your sanity, as well as your maintainence.

The Winter to Spring chores get brushed aside. That little engine tuneup gives way to "Oh I can get this done in 20 minutes " The day before opening day. Guess what , That little tuneup just became a top end overhaul, due to the fact that your head gaskets became worse becuse you overlooked it last year. "Oh it didn't need to get done, not serious", last year. The fuel filter with 2000 hours on it is done, and guess what the 10 year old holding tank hasn't ever been checked. Yuuuuuccchhhh!

The time is now. Send the wife and kids away for two days to have fun now. Put on a large pot of coffee, the 50 cup size, and prepare to get dirty. Putting off until tommorrow, will cost you valuable time and MONEY
if you overlook those 20 minute projects, and a good inspection.

Thank you, and have fun.
Reel Loose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Living onboard Reply with quote

GregM makes a good point, I did it the other way by ignoring a few things on the boat. I guess I just sort of conveniently forgot about them once Fall turned into Winter. That's a mistake!
Capt'n Crunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!
BoatWoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Living aboard and keeping your sanity Reply with quote

Living aboard has it's pluses and minuses, just like anything worth doing. Storage, cleaning, maintenance and comfort are all things you need to keep up on, whether you want to or not, just for the sake of sanity.

Space is always a factor. Where do you put that new trinket? There aren't alot of places to put "things" you do not need. So liveaboards learn to pare down their lives and the collection of frivolous "stuff" becomes a real issue.

Our rule? If you add a trinket, some other trinket must go. When leaving the vessel, we always make sure to clean up behind us as we leave.

Once a year, we empty the boat and wash down the inside of lockers and the sides of the cabin and floor with diluted bleach water and rinse it down with vinegar. We never seem to have a mold problem! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Living Aboard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: