Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4hp Johnson remote fuel tank and prop change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: 4hp Johnson remote fuel tank and prop change Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a 4hp Johnson engine (BJ4BRCCS - serial# 7641969) which I believe is a 1988 model. I'd very much like to increase the prop pitch or diameter to get a little more grunt and a little less thrashing. I'd also quite like to use a remote fuel tank so that I'm not having to stop to top up every 3/4 of an hour or so.

Are either of these things particularly difficult to achieve? I'm not at all sure whether my engine has a mechanical fuel pump or not and a web search for "johnson 4hp propellors" just leaves me more confused than ever.

I'm in the UK, if anyone's in a position to post a source for a new prop and/or suitable fuel line adaptors/whatever. I'd much rather make these changes to my johnson than get a different motor if at all possible since apart from those two niggles I've been perfectly happy with it.

Happy boating everyone.

Colin
MikeW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: 4hp Johnson remote fuel tank and prop change Reply with quote

Hello Colin, unfortunately there is only one propeller available for that model engine. It is 7.5" X 7" RH. OMC does not offer a kit to convert from the on engine gas tank to a remote tank either. You will need to upgrade to a higher horsepower engine to have these two options.
colinc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks very much for the info. I had tentative plane to use the 4hp Johnson on an outrigger canoe setup and a faster prop and lower centre of gravity a remote tank offers would both have worked in it's favour. It looks like it's not going to be very practical though.

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: