Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Fish, Therefore I am Gone!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: I Fish, Therefore I am Gone! Reply with quote

Tony gets a jump on 2008! Posted here with permission by Tony and NMTA - The Northwest Marine Trade Association, the oldest and largest regional boating trade organization in the nation.

I Fish, Therefore I am Gone!

Three, two, one, liftoff! At this writing, the Seattle Boat Show is just about over. It's February and my salmon year has just begun. For the next few months, you'll find me on the Starship Truth, my 24-foot Osprey, laying down the water bound for the salmon fishing grounds. Every weekend and a few weekdays, weather permitting, living the dream, saltwater fishing here in Washington.

Each year, usually in April, the Department of Fish and Wildlife releases 30 million juvenile chinook salmon into Puget Sound and Hood Canal. The greater majority of these fish put Puget Sound in their rear view mirror and head north to British Columbia and southeast Alaska where they will pasture before returning back home as three, four and five-year old adult chinook we call king salmon. However, not all of these fish catch the bus north. Some say "Dude, I think I'll skip the bus and hangout in Puget Sound, Hood Canal, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the San Juan Islands." They are equal in size and growth, for the most part, compared to their northern migrating brothers and sisters. I like it when they stay home.

During my former career at the Department of Fish and Wildlife, I spent considerable time attempting to understand where chinook salmon go during their lifetime. I carefully looked at sport catch information all the way back into the 70's, trying to find migration patterns of chinook salmon stocks. Clearly, through this historical catch information, chinook salmon frequent areas of Puget Sound at specific times. For example, this catch information suggests that considerable numbers of hatchery chinook are pasturing in the eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca, the San Juan Islands and northern Puget Sound February through April. Coded-wire tag information suggests that these fish originate from salmon hatcheries throughout Puget Sound and Hood Canal, with a sprinkling of stocks originating from southern British Columbia.

Based on this information, there are more Puget Sound hatchery-produced chinook salmon gorging on baitfish in the San Juans than any other time of the year. Hear my motor running? Check out the sign in my office. It says, "I fish, therefore I am gone!"

Throughout my salmon fishing career, I have had great teachers who have helped me develop fishing techniques in a variety of places and times. The San Juans is no exception. I credit Larry Carpenter at Master Marine in Mt. Vernon, Pete Nelson on Shaw Island, Bill Schourup from Henry Island and Mike Lindquist from Salmonater Charters in Anacortes as anglers who know where they live and what they like to eat. I have met a lot of great salmon anglers during my lifetime in Washington. Some have the gift necessary to rise above the salmon fishing fleet. The ability to interpret, and interpret correctly is a gift. It can be learned, but for some, it is natural. For me, a great deal of my success is based on learning, spending time on the water, interpreting and hopefully interpreting correctly. For those who fish with me, they know that I prefer to fish with a plug-cut herring. I have a great deal of confidence in a tight spinning bait, at a slow speed when fishing for chinook. Take it to the bank, baby.

So, as you read this column, glance out your window. If you look at the right moment, you'll catch a glimpse of a 24 Osprey, running around 30 m.p.h, on a northerly course bound for the San Juans. It's February baby, the San Juans just opened to blackmouth salmon fishing for the next three months. Catch that scent in the air. It's the smell of chinook in the morning, my favorite foo-foo! See you on the water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have received this monthly report because you are an NMTA member with an interest in fishing or have asked to join this mailing list. To be removed from this report, click here. If you know of an individual who would like to be added to this list, click here. Feel free to forward this report to friends and family.
Captain Walker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: NMTA - Northwest Marine Trade Association Reply with quote

Tony's article comes to us from the Northwest Marine Trade Association (NMTA), which is the oldest and largest regional boating trade organization in the nation, representing the interests of approximately 850 member companies.

Founded in 1947 to fight a proposed special tax on boaters, the Association quickly expanded its vision of a unified industry by pitching a tent on the shores of Lake Union and holding its first boat show. Get Involved in NMTA Events. Throughout the year, the NMTA plans membership-only and public events.

Upcoming Events that members participate in:
Seattle Boat Show - January 24-February 2, 2008
Everett Boat Show - March 6-9, 2008
Fun on the Foss - June 2008
Boatstock - July 2008
Northwest Salmon Derby Series

NMTA Committees

The 2009 Boat Shows are already being planned!

If you'd like to volunteer your time, energy and expertise to ensure the success of these events, please let NMTA know!

10 Excellent Reasons to Come Aboard and Join NMTA

1. Preferred rates in both Boat Shows plus exhibit location priority over non-members
2. Ongoing, expert representation in local and regional government issues
3. Group purchasing clout to save you money
4. Actively shape policy by serving on industry committees
5. Access to timely, actionable, regional boating research to help you find new customers and make those you have even more loyal
6. Lively monthly newsletters and annual meetings where the Northwest's boating industry players convene to renew relationships and set new goals
7. Contacts-rich Membership Directory
8. Networking opportunities at Annual Dinner, industry golf tourney and other industry-specific events to inform, discuss, train and entertain
9. Medical benefit and marine business insurance options
10. Increased Internet exposure for your company including our "NMTA Marine Yellow Pages" listing companies, products and brands

Moderator, Boaters Line Moderator
dwalker@go2marine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Saltwater Fishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: