Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What type of fluid do I use in my Hynautic controls?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bounty hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: What type of fluid do I use in my Hynautic controls? Reply with quote

Apparently there are two kinds of Glycol. Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol. What is the difference? Can I use either one in my Hynautic controls?
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Questions regarding types of Glycol for Hynautic Controls Reply with quote

There are two types of Glycol fluids. Ethylene based Glycol and Propylene based Glycol.

Most boaters with Hynautic brand controls are aware that they use Glycol based fluid to actuate the shift and throttle controls of their Hynautics. What they are not aware of, is there are two types of Glycol control fluids. If you purchase the Hynautic brand control fluid it is an Ethylene based Glycol. It can be identified by its light green tint. Basically, it is a 50/50 mixture of filtered distilled water and a Prestone type anti-freeze. The Ethylene based Glycol (as most of you aware of) is toxic to people and animals. It has a sweet taste and animals are prone to drink it.

Viking Chemical produces a Propylene based Glycol control fluid. It is a 50/50 mixture of filtered distilled water and Propylene Glycol. Viking fluid can be identified by its light blue tint. Propylene Glycol is a food grade non-toxic Glycol based fluid!

I have spoken with Teleflex regarding the use of Propylene Glycol in Hynautic controls. Their official statement is, “Teleflex has not tested Propylene Glycol and does not know if it will have an adverse effect on the internal seals and o-rings of Hynautic controls”. Therefore, they do not recommend using it on Hynautic controls.

I have used the Propylene Glycol for several years on Hynautics controls and never had a premature failure. I know of several commercial Fishermen using it as well. To my knowledge, none of them have had a failure. In many cases, it is actually easier to find Viking Brand Propylene Glycol than the Ethylene based Glycol.

If you decide to use Propylene Glycol on your Hynautic controls, I recommend you completely drain any Ethylene based Glycol out of the system before adding Propylene Glycol. This is to prevent any possibility of cross contamination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Engine Controls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: