Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercruiser 8.1S Oil Cooler Failure? Anyone experienced this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pseudomind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Mercruiser 8.1S Oil Cooler Failure? Anyone experienced this? Reply with quote

I am hoping it is just the oil cooler. Oil pressure is good, no water in oil, just an oily sheen coming out of my starboard engine exhaust. By sheen I mean continuous as long as the exhaust is spitting out, just imaging standing over the water and dropping oil onto the water, it is a thick multi-colored sheen, no black or white smoke, in fact no exhaust smoke to be seen.

Engine runs good

Mercrusier 8.1S EFI 370 HP
Oil pressure above typically around 50 for each engine
Water temp stays around 165

Engine sounds good, no knocks, misses etc. runs strong

No mechanically fuel pump, oil cooler is raw water cooled

I am thinking it may be oil leaking from the oil cooler internal oil tubes into the raw water flow. I cruised out for about 1.5 hours yesterday to Whitey's fish camp when I discovered it. I was a two quarts low and the oil pressure was down a little, it was still above 40 or higher however.

I put in two quarts of oil and cruised back, oil pressure was a bit higher after the oil was added, though still had the exhaust sheen, oil pressure had dropped some again by the time I returned back to my marina, but was still above 40.

Turns out by the time I returned it was two quarts low again, no water in oil or whiteness to oil just dark black oil color. Oil has recently been changed about 15 hours of running time ago.
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is typical of an oil cooler failure. Cool
Pseudomind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeW wrote:
This is typical of an oil cooler failure. Cool

So have you encountered this before? I have searched on line, and other forums, but apparently no one else has ever had this issue before.

Thanks
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as a marine mechanic I have changed many engine and transmission oil coolers. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercruiser All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: