Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutthroat Flies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Cutthroat Flies Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend good cutthroat flies? I now this is top secret stuff but maybe someone can throw me a few suggestings! Thanks.
sailori38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Fly Fished in some of the most beautiful places - Alberta, BC, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

Everybody has there favorites and what you use depends on where you are or when you are fishing (time of year and time of day) as well as the weather and so many other little variables that books are written on...

Having said that; here are a few old favorites that I always carry when I am travelling.
Royal Coachman (a real classic that is now overlooked)
Adams
Nymphs (that look good)
Ants
Elk Hair Caddis
Olive or Brown Wooley Bugger
Hoppers
Midges

Hooks are sized 10-16 for the most part, except the midges are really small (18-24) and the Buggers and Hoppers are big (8-10)

That should get you started - get a couple of each and you will have a nice looking assortment to use.
NorthernFlyFisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: salt or fresh cuties Reply with quote

In the salt I like to find bait fish or a rocky beach with known sand shrimp. In either case I always throw a "nerd" my own version of a pink sand shrimp with big plastic barbell eyes that make it look like a nerd.

If that does not work I will switch to a bait pattern, usually olive green or blue and white. Something that imitates the baitfish in the area.

If I see cuties on the surface I will always through some sort of bait fish bomber or popper.

As a kid my best luck was with triple teasers spoons, and I always carry a couple of flies that imitate the spoon.

In fresh water rivers where cuties migrate to spawn I fish them like I would steal head, but smaller flies. This allows me to target both species and I have had numerous days in the South Puget sound rivers where I have caught both.

For land locked cutthroat like in WY and MT I prefer to use small streamers (year round) and yellow sallys (springtime) also wool headed sculpin and pheasant tail nymphs are good.

Good luck
Gobbler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: cutthroat Fish Flies Reply with quote

For cutthroat fish I like to use my steelhead flies for the salt water. In fresh water I use pheasant tail nymphs or similar like the other fellow. If you have kids along be sure to have a -- Knight or Triple Teaser for saltwater cutthroat in case the flies are not working. Don't want to get skunked with the kids there, and the cutthroat are easier to release that way instead using of pop gear with spinners and catching the fish in the throat.
T Sheppard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Crease Flies for Sea Trout and Cutties Reply with quote

I recently visited the NW and got a chance to go after some cutties in the south end of Puget Sound, near Vashon Island. My fishing partner was addicted to using bombers and we both landed multiple fish with some great explosive strikes. I was struck by the similarity between bombers and crease flies (invented by Capt Joe Blados of Long Island NY, which I discovered down in Corpus Christi while fishing for sea trout). After some expermintation I found that size 8 to 10 blue or tan foam heads worked great with the same explosive strikes that we were getting on the bombers.

When "tying" crease flies for cutties I found that using smaller foam heads allowed more fish to get hooked and be brought to hand. For example if I wanted to tie a size 8 crease fly I would use a foam head that Capt Blados would put on a size 10 hook.

Good Luck
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Cutthroat Fly Fishing Reply with quote

Hey, I just checked back on my cutthroat flies question and many thanks for the replies. I have some small steelhead flies and sand shrimp like flies that I will try. But I also like the Capt Blados Crease Flies that T Sheppard talks about specifically for cutthroat. I'll try the smaller foam heads like he suggests. Should be fun, thanks again to all.
Gobbler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Cutthroat Fly Fishing Reply with quote

Just another thought for cutthroat, don't forget to try casting off the beaches near a fresh water stream. You can often do that on a moment's notice without having to get the boat organized. Find a few special places and keep your fly rod in the car.
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Cutthroat Fly Fishing Reply with quote

Good suggestion. I make a habit of keeping the fly rod in the truck nowadays. My son caught a cutty the other day right away on a size 10 gold bead-headed pink racoon. Good size too.
walterharris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Cutthroat Flies Reply with quote

Great looking flies. They ought to get you some fish down here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flyfishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: