Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

125 ESL 72 Throttle Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: 125 ESL 72 Throttle Issues Reply with quote

I just bought a 16ft Glastron with a 1972 Johnson 125. I have two concerns. The first is that the Motor cover said it was a Johnson 100, but the Serial / Model plate on the transom clamp says its a 125ESL72. Which should I believe?
Next question is that after the boat is started in neutral, when I go to put it in foward, it quits running. Eventually I got it to stay running in gear, but when I gave it any sort of throttle, it would quit running. I think this is carburetor issue, but when the boat is in neutral, I can trottle all day long and the boat revs like it seems it should. What else can I check? If this is a carburetor issue should I do just a de-carb or should I take it off and do a full clean?
Thanks
TheHus
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: 125 ESL 72 Throttle Issues Reply with quote

Looks like like the engine is a 125 and has had it's motor hood swapped (likely that 125 hood was dropped overboard or crushed when backing up!)

Carb. I am thinking the accelerator pump. I have written elsewhere in this forum about my 'patch cleaning' for the carb - a product called seafoam. In fact, I just got my own (new outboard to me) carb cleaned and it was doing exactly what yours was.

Cleaning the carb is my recommendation.

Marine Tech.
walterharris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: 125 ESL 72 Throttle Issues Reply with quote

I am looking for the electric shifter and throttle control for my 1969 johnson 55hp. Can someone point me in the right direction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: