Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

evinrude 9.5 1969 issue running with upper coweling mounted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motretu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: evinrude 9.5 1969 issue running with upper coweling mounted Reply with quote

i recently acquired the engine sight unseen as part of a boat and engine package for which the boat was the target and the engine came along for the ride. the seller said the engine had been running as recently as three years ago and presented me with a receipt from 1995 for work done at that time. the engine is in good cosmetic shape for its age and appears to have been used in freshwater only. i decided to see if i could make it run.

initially, the engine would start, but run poorly and stall. after cleaning some small bits of stuff from the carb bowel and the main jet feed line which is built into the bottom of the bowel, and installing a fuel line filter just ahead of the carb, the engine started and ran fine in my test tank, in neutral, for 10-15 minutes. also ran fine at idle and slightly higher rpm in forward and reverse.

however, with the engine running at idle/neutral, when i attach the upper cover, the engine slows down noticeably and runs poorly. if i remove the cover before the engine stalls, the engine regains speed and continues to run "normally". as a test, i set the idle high, but got the same response when the cover was installed. this symptom occurs even if the cover is just lowered over the engine but hand held so that there is a 1-2" gap between the upper and lower cowling pieces around the entire base of the cover. under these conditions, i can see that the inside of the cover is not touching any part of the engine and is well away from the plastic screen mounted on the carb air intake. with a 1-2" gap, it seems there must be enough air getting to the carb intake, especially at idle, and, of course, the engine was designed to run with the cover in place. with the cover off, engine at idle/neutral, i've used my hand to cover the carb intake screen and this has no affect on engine speed/performance. there is about a 3/8" gap between the underside of the screen and the carb intake horn and this allows plenty of air to get in.

i'm stumped for now. all ideas welcome.
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, try adjusting the air fuel mixture. That should take care of it! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: