Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

440 inboard help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krb5000

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: 440 inboard help Reply with quote

I just rebuilt a reverse rotation 440. Upon start up I have a bad engine miss. Everything is new. Cap, rotor, points, wires, plugs. When I try to open the throttle the engine dies. The vaccum at idle is 19". When I open the throttle it drops to 0". If I work the throttle and keep it running it misfires really bad. I have checked the cam timing, compression, push rod lenght, and removed one head and checked the installed height of the valves. Everything seems to be ok. I have tried 2 different carbs, 2 different distributors, and checked the firing order (reverse) several times. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. The engine is on a test stand so tests are easily done. Thanks.
MikeW

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Hello, you need to back track a bit. Did you install the same heads and camshaft? Cool
krb5000

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, used the original reverse rot. cam. Rebuilt the heads with new valves and seats. Set installed height to original specs. Engine runs like the cam is out of time. Have checked cam timing, and firing order several times. Any ideas? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Engines All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: