Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toilet Won't Flush

View previous topic :: View next topic  
micscrk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Toilet Won't Flush Reply with quote

I just bought a 1992 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee that has a pump out toilet with a selector switch (wet/dry). The instructions on the toilet say to place the selector to wet and pump until water fills the bowl and flushes. Then switch the selector to dry to remove any remaining water. I can get water to pump into the toilet but it wont flush....it will just fill completely to the top and overflow if i continue to pump. Also, water does not pump out when I switch the selector to dry. I am not sure if the problem is that I am not doing something correctly or if there is something wrong with the toilet. I know that the toilet has not been used since the last winterization so I am wondering if there is maybe a shut off switch somewhere on the out line to prevent water intering the waste tank? Please Help.
GregM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Toilet Won't Flush Reply with quote

Well not to go to the obvious, but the first choice would be that the selector switch is malfunctioning. That is somewhat of a common problem,and can normally be repaired easily.The best thing is to rebuild the unit, and that should fix the situation. The reason that I say to rebuild, is that once you open the unit up and repair, you might as well do the whole pump, gaskets , orings, etc., because putting old worn out parts in with new can only lead to further headaches. Pay now or pay later. It may well only be the selector, but do you want to find out the hard way? Thank you.
micscrk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Toilet Won't Flush Reply with quote

Are marine toilets like a regular toilet in that when the water pumps in and gets to a certain level it automatically flushes.....or do you have to pump water in with the selector in the wet position and then pump the water out with the selector in the dry position? The instructions listed on the toilet arent very clear, but it sounds like when you place the selector in the wet position and pump, water is supposed to enter the bowl and then automatically flush once the water gets to a certain level.
GregM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Toilet Won't Flush Reply with quote

Good Morning: No marine heads are not like household. They do not siphon, or flush automatically. Due to the nature of the heads, they are designed to flush manually . Wet is wet and dry is dry , just as specified.
Most marine heads are designed to dry with 2-4 pumps.

The other thing to remember, is that you do not want a siphon action, due to the cahnce of flooding you vessel.

Hope that this helps.
micscrk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Toilet Wont Flush Reply with quote

I found out something odd since I last posted. I can get the toilet to flush when the boat is out of the water on the trailer, but when I put the boat in the water, it won't flush?????
GregM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Toilet Wont Flush Reply with quote

You appear to have a unique, or maybe not situation that can probably be attributed to the pump. You should be able to solve or at least help the situation by rebuilding the unit(pump). You need to know the exact make & model number(s) in order to get the correct components. I am confident that this should cure the problem. Thism is the least expensive road to take.
92rink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: No water to flush?? Reply with quote

I have a Rinker 260 as well. I f i fill the bowl with sink water it flushes fine. Where is the seacock located in the boat? I just bought this and have no idea where it is. The bottom of the boat is painted how does the wter stop from always coming in to the head? By just the ball valve? Scary stuff.

John
boatScotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Toilets and below the waterline Reply with quote

A marine toilet has a valve and a stopper to prevent water from back flooding into the boat.

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/toilet_waste_systems/manual_toilets/manual_toilets_copy_29090_and_29120/iid_4268-item4268/index.htm

There are operational manuals and tech drawings here that can help you understand why they don't leak...

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Heads & Plumbing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: