Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So many fish, so little time.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: So many fish, so little time. Reply with quote

Tony Floor gets it right once again! Posted here with permission by Tony and NMTA

So many fish, so little time.

I can't believe it's August all ready in the heart of the summer. Ever hear the phrase "dog days of summer?" What's that about? A dog lying around in the summer heat, trying to find some shade? No shade for this dude as we enter the peak of salmon fishing in the great Pacific northwest. When I think of August, I think of so many fish and so little time.

The big stories of salmon fishing to date this summer has to be north Puget Sound (Port Townsend, Possession Bar, Kingston, and Jeff Head), along with the eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca (Freshwater Bay and the north end of Hein Bank). Baby, if water could burn, these spots would be on fire with marked hatchery chinook salmon.

A good friend of mine from Port Orchard whacked a 50-pound hatchery produced chinook salmon in early July fishing off the kelp beds at Freshwater Bay, just west of Port Angeles. That's a fish of a lifetime here in Washington. Sign me up. I dream of 50-pounders, ripping line off my reel with authority every night when I go to bed. Medication is not an option.

Westport, along the central Washington coast has also been a nice surprise this season too, as forecasters, including this writer, predicted a lackluster chinook fishery and an okay coho fishery. To the contrary, the mix of coho salmon, now packing on the weight at an unbelieveable rate, has been accentuated by a good presence of king salmon. Love it when that happens. I recommend a giddy-up to Westport as soon as possible to get in on the action.

While you're at Westport, we are also at prime time for albacore tuna. This fishery is getting more popular for sport fishing boats every year. And, at last report, the tuna are cruising off our coast about 35 miles offshore. Albacore, which migrate from the southeastern Pacific ocean to our coast, round trip in one year, like water temps from 59 to 62 degrees. The Japanese current, or so it's called, swings up the Pacific coast to Vancouver Island where the waters turn colder again, causing albacore to hang a left and head towards the Hawaiian Islands. I want to be an albacore. August is prime time to fish for albacore tuna along the Washington coast. Giddyup.

Closer to my home in Olympia, lower Hood Canal is quietly heading into prime-time chinook fishing too. This year's forecast calls for a nice bump of about 10,000 more chinook heading to the Skokomish River and the Hoodsport salmon hatchery than previous years. I volunteer to investigate.

The Hood Canal chinook fishery occurs from Ayock Pt., north of Lilliwaup, south through Hoodsport, Bald Point and the estuary of the Skokomish River. Anglers like to troll with a flasher and hoochie or spoon. Jigging for chinook salmon can also be effective in the Canal, especially when locating schools of king salmon. To date, this fishery does not get a lot of pressure, compared to other popular salmon fisheries, and the quality of king salmon is very good. Giddyup.

The Canal features a salmon derby, August 18-19 out of Mike's Beach Resort north of Lilliwaup, hosted by the south Puget Sound chapter of Puget Sound Anglers. And, speaking of tournaments, the Gig Harbor Salmon Derby (Narrow's Marina) will occur the previous Saturday, August 11th. Both of these events are part of the NW Salmon Derby Series, featuring a grand prize 23-foot aluminum walkaround fishing machine, built by Pacific Boats in Marysville and powered with a big Honda 4-stoke outboard motor. I will give this boat away, to some lucky angler, who participated in one or more of the 12 tournaments in the NW Salmon Derby Series at the Everett Coho Derby on Sunday, September 23rd.

Finally, on the political fish front, the Fish and Wildlife Commission will meet in Anacortes, August 3-4. One of the agenda items, set for 11 a.m. on Friday is to hear discussion about the annual salmon season setting process called North of Falcon. As you may recall, there was considerable controversy this year as the result of Puget Sound treaty tribes "stuffing" the proposal by the state and recreational fishing leaders to expand selective fishing for chinook salmon in 2007. If you liked the north Puget Sound fishery, for fin-clipped hatchery produced chinook, which continues to produce great fishing at this writing, then it's time to step up and let the Commission hear your support. Send your e-mail to: Attention, all fish commissioners (commission@dfw.wa.gov) and let them know that you support selective fishing for greater access to hatchery produced salmon.

In the meantime, I'm going to stop writing about salmon fishing and go salmon fishing. This is primetime. It's not about the dog days of summer, it's about giddyup and going salmon fishing. See you on the water.
Duane Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: So Many Fish....how true! Reply with quote

Tony was right, I also had great fishing in N. Puget Sound, especially off Jeff Head. Just some herring and a little patience and we did good. I also like what he says about supporting greater access to the fin-clipped "hatchery produced chinook" fishery and the need to voice support with the Commissioners at the WDFW.!,
BrianF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this post, we have had two more great years of Albacore Tuna fishing out in Westport. It was a bit slow in early July, with lots of scattered jig fish, but by early August, it was incredible. September was fine in 2009 as well, and the season ended rather quickly in early October due to poor weather. Several charters had 150+ fish days (usually for 10 anglers) and some were regularly getting scores over 200 fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Saltwater Fishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: