Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I wreck my engine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesWalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Did I wreck my engine? Reply with quote

My 1987 Sisu has a 140 hp turbo Volvo Penta inboard diesel with only 425 hours.

After changing the oil and filter and starting it up for first time this season, there was no oil pressure and the alarm is ringing. Gauges have been sometimes funny to “activate” in the past, so, being at times stupid and stubborn, I kept running the engine waiting for the oil pressure gauge to jump to life. The engine ran perhaps a minute at various RPMs.

Of course, the real problem was a loose oil filter and I managed to pump 8 quarts of fresh oil into the bilge from my 9 quart sump. (Don’t believe the “turn one rotation after contact” directions) After shut down, I opened the oil fill cap and there was plenty of oil in the top still circulating. Then, we probably over tightened the oil filter and refilled the sump and things seemed to run normally.

After some run time, oil pressure gauge was moving between 0 and a maximum of 30 psi no matter what RPM. Actually seemed to sway with the swells. Oil level remained at full.

Did I wreck my engine? Could it be something simple like a bubble I the sensor? What do I do now?
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Fine Reply with quote

I think the engine will be just fine - is the oil pressure gauge mechanical or electric?

Oh, and I always hand tighten my filters as tight as the left hand will allow. I have never had one leak. That is usually more than a turn after contact. That way I can undo them with both my hands (usually).

Marine Tech.
JamesWalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the gauges - the tach for instance usually comes to life after about 5 minutes of running. The Boat/engine are 1987, but I think the instruments were added later - what's your guess for 20 +- years?

That's an excellent suggestion for the oil filters - one I'll use. Another fellow once told me to write or scratch the engine hours on the filter when it's installed.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Oil Change Reply with quote

I write the hours when I changed the oil on a bulkhead in the engine room - as well as the valve adjustment, filter # and anything erlse that I really need to know all the time, every time I am in there.

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volvo-Penta All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: