Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing my Volvo Penta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac&Pam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Replacing my Volvo Penta Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and I am considering repowering my old boat. I have a 47ft shallow draft river cruiser that has a Volvo AQ271c v8 stern drive. It draws 33 inches with the outdrive down and 18 with it up. The boat originally had a displacement of 12500 pounds but it originally had two OMC sterndrives. It was changed to accept the single Volvo in the late 80's as this model Volvo came out in 1989. The Volvo pushes me along at a nice slow speed, which is what I want, but the gas engine is becoming old and if I am to continue cruising I would like to look at alternatives.I was considering several options. 1. replacing the Volvo with a new diesel Volvo sterndrive, however this boat is 47 feet long with a shallow draft and it gets squirrely in the wind. 2. Replacing the Volvo with two sterndrives thus having more manuervability, 3. Replacing the whole sterndrive with an inboard option either one or two engines preferably diesel, 4. replacing with an inboard hybrid electric diesel engine, or 5. using outboards. Using anything other than one sterndrive would mean surgery on the boat. I have looked at many forums but no one can give me any suggestions. We use this boat to travel the ICW from the Keys northward and are looking to go up into the Great Lakes and possibly doing the Loop but I would like to look at a more reliable and economical alternative.

Mac
MikeW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to how much you want to spend! I would go with a Volvo Diesel and duo prop drive unit. Best of both and super handling with the duo prop Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volvo-Penta All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: