Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85 HP CHRYSLER (1970's ?) HARD T0 STEER TO THE LEFT AT SPEED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MATTHIESEN

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: 85 HP CHRYSLER (1970's ?) HARD T0 STEER TO THE LEFT AT SPEED Reply with quote

RECENTLY REBUILT OLD SKI BOAT AND 85 hp CHRYSLER THAT I HAVE HAD F0R YEARS. AT HIGH SPEED THE B0AT IS VERY HARD TO STEER TO THE LEFT. NEVER WAS BEF0RE. THIS M0T0R D0ES NOT HAVE A TRIM TAB TO COUNTER ACT ENGINE TORQUE LIKE M0ST 0UTB0ARDS. THERE IS A EXHAUST NOZZLE THAT LOOKS A BIT PIKE A T0RQUE TAB BUT IT IS N0T M0VABLE AS IT SETS INT0 A RECESS. ANY IDEAS???
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, does the boat track straight if you let off the steering wheel? If so you may need th change the steering cable. They can get a bit stiff and really be tough steering aginst the engine torque. Cool
MATTHIESEN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike--the steering moves easily when at rest and slowly gets harder to turn to the left as speed increases. If I let the wheel go at any speed it tend to turn back to the right. I made some changes in the left and right "span" to max and equalize the amount of turn to the left and right and that made some difference but it still is harder to turn to the left. I wonder why these motor were not made with a torque of trim tab like other outboards. The steering system is a Quick Sliver Ride Guide system that originally steered a black and white 6 cylinder Merc. I ran this system with the Chrysler for years and don't remember this problem. However, it has not been run for at least 15 years and perhaps my memory is bad or I am getting weaker in the arms and don't remember this problem. Any suggestions are welcome. Hal
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Chrysler / Force O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: