Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tony Floor on WA Fish Management and November Blackmouth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Tony Floor on WA Fish Management and November Blackmouth Reply with quote

Tony's thoughts on change in Olympia - at least in the WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. Posted here with permission by Tony and NMTA - The Northwest Marine Trade Association, the oldest and largest regional boating trade organization in the nation.

The Season of Change & November Blackmouth

Had it with the political ads for state and national offices? Me too! He said, she said and on it goes. Makes you wonder who is lying and who is not. Doesn’t matter as campaign staffs in all incumbent and challenging political offices scratch and claw at the opportunity to gouge the competition. With that said, I would not miss the chance to cast my vote for our elected officials.

The theme this fall, seems to have a strong aroma of change. Nationally and locally, people seem to be embracing the flavor of a new direction.

If you are a follower of this column since its inception, 3 ½ years ago, I have written a great deal about sport salmon fishing, selective fishing for salmon, and the possibility to hook a few salmon in our state, at different times and places of the year.

Today, on this eve of our elections, I wish I could vote for candidates seeking to lead and direct our Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife into the next four years. Clearly, as many salmon anglers understand, the current administration at the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is content with the status quo and quick to educate those that would listen, with reasons why they can’t do what needs to be done. Selective fishing is a prime example. The current director, Jeff Koenings, has been at the helm for the last 10 years, longer than any director in the last half century. It is time for change. If you believe in the economic value of the importance of sport fishing to Washington’s economy, and how that value is recognized and implemented, baby, I need not say more... it is time for change. I am completely convinced, we cannot get there from here with the current leadership, or lack of leadership, in place.

Okay, onward and upward. Blackmouth (resident chinook salmon) fishing opened on Saturday, November 1 in Puget Sound from Olympia north to Port Townsend. November can be tough, especially from a weather perspective as wind can hamper saltwater anglers attempting to drift or troll a contour where blackmouth are often found. I prefer fishing in north Sound, from Kingston to Port Townsend on outgoing tides, particularly in 100-120 feet of water immediately north of the Kingston ferry terminal through the ebb. I have also had good results fishing the south end of Oak Bay, also in 100-120 feet of water, trolling five feet off the deck, with a plug-cut herring south to the entrance of Mats Mats Bay.

Finally, Port Townsend’s MidChannel Bank can be very good in November, on both tides at similar depths. Find the baitfish and you’ll find the blackmouth. From my perspective, blackmouth fishing in November can be very scratchy during the month. Sure, February and March are more productive statistically, and abundances are typically higher in most areas. Regardless, if you feel the need for speed, with a hard fighting 6-12 pound chinook salmon, then blackmouth is your answer in November.

I like to spend some time during this month taking care of my equipment too. My boat trailer has been dipped into the saltwaters of the Pacific Northwest a lot during the past six months and this is a great month to get maintenance on the trailer’s wheel bearings, lights and brakes. Typically, since my 250 h.p. and 9.9 Suzuki engines are racking up the hours from February until now, this is a great time to get your motors serviced. I crossed that task off my list last week. Predictably, by putting it off until spring, the trailer and outboard engines are dormant. Saltwater is very tough on metal, including electronics, battery connections, etc. Get ‘er done now, baby.

Goodbye October and hello November. We’ve had a spectacular fall, from a weather standpoint and life is good in Washington. I’m looking forward to some fresh air following the election and some good blackmouth fishing on Puget Sound. See you on the water and good luck.
Captain Walker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Tony Floor on WA Fish Management and November Blackmouth Reply with quote

Another great article in Tony's continuing quest for outstanding Salmon experiences; both on and off the water.

Stay tuned for the 2009 New Season article.

Great fishing and safe boating to all in this new year!

Moderator, Boaters Line Moderator
dwalker@go2marine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Saltwater Fishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: