Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford lehman raw water pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevebrown65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: ford lehman raw water pump Reply with quote

We have a problem with a ford lehman raw water pump and impellor. The pump is leaking from the shaft and the impellor has a slight leak from the housing. The main problem is the sea .. is seized. Is there a way to change the pump and impellor without shutting the sea .. plus it is not possible to haul the boat at present.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Use a plug Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with a seacock on my 26,000 # boat. I needed to remove the Skipper head and I could not, for the life of me, close that seacock. And my boat was in the water...

So I talked with other guys on the dock and I found the advice that I am offering you. Get a wood plug for your hose size (get a real marine one, they are long and tapered).

Now, get a bucket - it only needs to hold a couple gallons. Remove the hose clamp on the pump - of the hose that leads to the seacock. Now get ready, the water will only be coming in at 7 psi (your garden hose has 30+) or so and when you pop off the hose, insert the plug and put a hose clamp on it. I have done this twice - the first time, I let in about a gallon, the next time - less than 1/2 gallon. I did not use a bucket either time - I let it run into the bilge and pumped the pitance out)

It is scary the first time - and goes against your core programming to just open a hole to water - but you find it works really well!

Oh, and I not have a plug wired to every thruhull - in case a hose ever split or popped off.

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Engines All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: