Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual cable steering in salt water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fetchco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Dual cable steering in salt water Reply with quote

Has there ever been a recall for dual steering cable steering for salt water boats. I have a Bayliner Trophy Pro with a 150 HP outboard. The steering freezes up when the boat remains idle for a month or two and I either have to heat up the cables to unstick the motor or I need a helper to turn the wheel and I give the motor a good nudge. There must be a better way. Question
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Dual cable steering in salt water Reply with quote

I have never heard of any recall like this...

I would suggest that you call the manufacturer or whom ever you bought the boat from (if it was new).

Otherwise, you may just need a new, sealed cable.

Marine Tech.
fetchco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dual cable steering in salt water Reply with quote

boatScotty wrote:
I have never heard of any recall like this...

I would suggest that you call the manufacturer or whom ever you bought the boat from (if it was new).

Otherwise, you may just need a new, sealed cable.

I spoke directly to the dealer where this boat was purchased new. He informed me that because of dis-similar metals in the steering cable and the re-action of salt water causes some corrision. I think this is bonkers if this is reported for saltwater fishing boats. Who would figure that if the boat is moored for long periods without moving the steering wheel that the motor would seize and you could not steer?
Seems there should be a recall.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Dual cable steering in salt water Reply with quote

Truthfully, you can replace the whole system with new parts for less than 20 minutes with a lawyer....

Just replace them with good parts - and enjoy your boat!

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mercury / Mariner O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: