Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

92 omc 5.8 ignition ghost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim c baymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: 92 omc 5.8 ignition ghost Reply with quote

I have a ghost. 1992 Four Winns 205 Sundowner w/5.8l OMC. The starter began engaging while the engine was running. Had to kill battery to stop starter motor. With neutral safety switch removed from boat same problem - turn battery on, starter starts. Determined must be between remote control and engine compartment. Unwrapped entire harness from engine to ignition expecting to find a screw through harness - nothing. Replaced assist solenoid (Starter was a motorcraft single pole type). Thought fixed, launched, rafted off with buddies, fixed a drink, sat down and the starter began cranking with the key off. Used boat this summer by unbolting Yellow/Red wire from solenoid. Sometimes had to turn key, sometimes starter engaged as Y/R wire reconnected. Logically?, the solenoid is being energized somewhere in the engine compartment but visible and continuity tests won't show me where. Replaced starter today as old one self destructed (new arco specification, has second solenoid on starter). Same problem. I have noticed, occasionally, that my windshield wiper will turn on by itself - can shut it off by fiddling with the wiper switch - wondering if has anything to do with. Anyway, every one I've talked to is mystified - appreciate any help.
MikeW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tim, my first thought is a solenoid but you say you have changed it. You might try replacing the ignition switch.
tim c baymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I think I might replace the switch even though it tests good - the bezel is scratched and is now missing the rubber boot. Logically though, the electrical signal sent from the ignition switch must pass through the neutral safety switch in the remote control unit succesfully before activating the starter solenoid. The tabs were torn off of the tiny microswitch (neutral safety) and the connection was broken. Therefore no signal could pass to the solenoid yet the solenoid was still being energized. I had concluded that the wire from the ignition to the solenoid must be getting energized between the remote control and the solenoid. Since the solenoid was replaced and the wireing harness had no shorts in it I got lost. I suppose there could be a short in the large harness plug before the solenoid, but I highly doubt it.

I think I mentioned that the windshield wiper goes on unexpectedly. Well, I think I'll ponder that one for a minute tonight. It occasionaly goes through a single cycle when I switch the batteries on - and I can't explain it. Seems imposible with the switch in the off position but it is happening just the same.

I appreciate your reply - my first time asking about this and I didn't expect an answer.
MikeW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could run a new wire outside the original loom.
tim c baymonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: good tip Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - Good tip. Although I feel I have to keep searching, a little inginuity could keep the boat afloat at least until the off-season. I'll post again when the source of my woes is discovered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> OMC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: