Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Froze my steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrytynan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Froze my steering Reply with quote

I have a trawler with chain, shaft, cable to quadrant coctrolling the rudder. Upper and lower stations. I did a panic turn and bent the restricter which stops the qudrent from turning too far. Neither steering wheel will turn. The quadrant is free of the bent restricter, but, I can't move quadrant, cables, chains or wheels. Where do I begin to free up my steering system?
boatScotty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Froze my steering Reply with quote

I am not sure if you resolved this yet - but...

You are going to need to first isolate the two different steering wheels and their parts.

Unhook everything, keeping blue tape (I like blue 3M 2" tape) labels on everything, with notes to where they go. I often label a cable removed from a chain with AA on one Piece and AA on the other - easy to then figure out how to hook them back up.

Try moving each part individually. I really suspect that you have a jammed chain. It can be hard finding it and removing it.

Tell me how that works... If you need more ideas, just ask.

Marine Tech.
boatScotty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Froze my steering Reply with quote

I am not sure if you resolved this yet - but...

You are going to need to first isolate the two different steering wheels and their parts.

Unhook everything, keeping blue tape (I like blue 3M 2" tape) labels on everything, with notes to where they go. I often label a cable removed from a chain with AA on one Piece and AA on the other - easy to then figure out how to hook them back up.

Try moving each part individually. I really suspect that you have a jammed chain. It can be hard finding it and removing it.

Tell me how that works... If you need more ideas, just ask.

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mechanical Steering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: