Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any suggestions for 14' to 16' V Hull, Center Console

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart888

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Any suggestions for 14' to 16' V Hull, Center Console Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a small v-hull, center console? I need to keep it small to fit in the garage (deed restrictions). I am going to use a swing tongue trailer to help. As for know, a like the Edgewater 14.5 and the Keywest 1520.

Just need a boat that I can hug the coast, and is easy to trailer around the state. I am not going to use this boat to go way out in the Gulf or Atlantic.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch, Stuart
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: boat choice Reply with quote

What you are really asking for is an opinion on what boat to buy from 100's of choices

Well, like most things, there is more than one answer. Like most people, I am sure your criteria are this;

1. How much do you want to spend? Nice and easy upper limit.

2. How far do you want to drive to pick it up? Sets the area to search.

3. Choose a boat that meets the size restrictions you have (beam and length, with engine and trailer). This, as well, seems to limit your choices.

4. New or used? You look to be buying new.

I am unfamiliar with the boats you are looking at (although I looked them up for research).

I looked at both those local boats to you and they both look great. Have fun with your new boat, which ever you choose.

Boat Scotty
stuart888

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Any suggestions for 14' to 16' V Hull, Center Console Reply with quote

1 - I figure $20,000 would be the top of it, for a small center console.

2 - Living in central florida, the boating hot bed, I would expect not to go very far. Anywhere in within 100 miles or so.

3 - Only issues are, v-hull, swing tongue trailer, and 16' or less boat length. I would think a 4 stroke engine, sized to the manufacture's recommendation. Length is the only deal killer, as I need it to fit in my garage.

4 - Yes, prefer new but am open to used (1 to 3 years old).

I like the two boats mentioned (edgewater 145 and key west 1520). Yes, I am looking to figure out if I am missing anything that I should look at. The skiffs would work, but I need a v-hull. But I don't mind the unfinish style that the skiffs offer. Their lower cost is very attractive.

Thanks for the thoughts, Stuart
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: boat choice Reply with quote

I would even look back a few more years, boats at the 5 year mark take a big drop. Just make sure the engine is clean and low hours - you want to buy that boat from an old retired guy who did not use it and keeps a clean garage!

After you pick out that boat, go2marine has boat covers to keep it looking great - they sponsor the site and offer decent prices on parts.

Boat Scotty
stuart888

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Any suggestions for 14' to 16' V Hull, Center Console Reply with quote

Thanks, I am a big fan and long time customer of go2marine, which how I found the forum. Owned 3 PWCs and 2 jon boats over the years. I get better prices with them online than, these high end florida stores.

I talked to Peter, at Edgewater Boats today on the phone. He invited me to the factory to see and learn the entire process of how they make the boats. A tour, which would let me see how they make them. Pretty cool. I am definately going to do that. It is across the state, but would be interesting for sure. Asked him also, why the boat shows around florida don't have small boats on display. He stated, it is a space issue, and the florida market is into big boats.

After I buy a boat, I will post a photo and details of how the buying process went.

Thanks again, Stuart
boatScotty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Edgewater 145cc Reply with quote

I took a look at their boats again - they are really nice. I like the features.

Do let me know if you get one. The 50HP outboard and a couple of 6 gallon tanks allows near 60 miles at full throttle - excellent! The 1000 pound towing weight with 1000 pound capacity is impressive as well as the positive buoyancy construction.

I think you will do well with a factory tour. Let us know how it went.

Marine Tech.
Patty Rowe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: EdgeWater Powerboats Reply with quote

I took out an EdgeWater on the Puget Sound. Fast, comfortable and easy to manuver, espcially when the seas kicked up on the way back from the San Juans.

I've been in larger boats that were not as comfortable in rough seas. The hull has a deep V and as I understand, carries a lifetime warranty that is transferrable.

The only thing I would change is the hieght of the windshield, my face got pelleted with "stinging" rain at 35 knots.

I'm sure Go2marine probably carries something that would cover the cockpit area or could suggest a replacement for the windshield. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Buying a Boat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: