Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring starter, Leyland Model Y-90 diesel (like Westerbeke)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Wiring starter, Leyland Model Y-90 diesel (like Westerbeke) Reply with quote

Bought an older sail boat. Has a Lehland Model Y-90 diesel. All wires/cables disconnected from batteries, but lying in the battery space. Battery selector switch lying loose in the area, as well. Am trying to re-connect, but not sure of polarities. Engine Manual says negative lead from back of starter goes to batteries. I found a mediun sized cable from the back of the starter leading to the battery area (loose). Manual also calls for positive lead, going to solenoid, then to starter), but I cannot find a (+) cable from the batteries to the solenoid. I DID find a large cable leading from the battery area connected to the engine block. Question: Would this cable function as the positive lead for the solenoid/starter (from positive terminals on batteries, to COMMON on the battery selector switch, to the block)? Mark
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Wiring starter, Leyland Model Y-90 diesel (like Westerbeke) Reply with quote

Ok, wiring 101 - 12v system.

Batteries have a positive and a negative -
Positive side has a + and wires that are positive are usually red, positive is also called 'hot'.
Negative side of the battery has a - and the wires are usually black, negative is also called ground.

Engine block is grounded. Starter body is grounded.

Starter solenoid is powered - hot.

If I understand you correct - you should have cable from battery positive to battery selector - then from battery selector to positive side of starter, alternater and electrical panel.
Negative side of battery to ground of engine and to ground of panel.

http://www.cmsquick.com/schematic-2.gif
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25289&stc=1&d=1185947066

Did that all make sense?

Marine Tech.
MarkW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boatScotty
Thanks for the quick reply.... Definitely made sense.. Was what I expected to find...

Issue is, I cannot find a + cable that goes from the battery area to the solenoid/starter - or any evidence of there ever having been one.....

That is the missing link... So I am concerned that I am missing something fundamental here...

There IS a (medium sized, black) cable coming from the back of the starter, ending (loose) in the battery area. The schematic in the manual says there should be a (-) lead coming from the back of the starter, going to the (-) on the battery. So this must be it.. Which begs the question... Why is a seprate negative lead needed from a starter, which is bolted to an engine block, which is negative grounded?

I'll keep looking for that (+) lead....

Thanks,

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: