Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep Water Vs Dock Fishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Deep Water Vs Dock Fishing Reply with quote

Hey, I currently live on the water and have a dock in a secluded bay on Bainbridge Island. However, i am never sure where to fish in this salt water bay. I can either fish on the Dock, off the beach, in the deepest section, or outside the mouth of the bay, or even closer to a river outlet into the bay.

Also, should i change my lure / bait depending on those diffrent locations.

water depts range from 15-20 feet off dock, and 50 feet in middle of bay, and 200 right outside the bay.

Thanks for your help
T Sheppard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Fishing on Bainbridge Island Reply with quote

Sounds like you have lots of choices. The friend I know really hammers them on and around Bainbridge Island. Go for Cutthrout around the river area, try some pop gear or a small spoon like a -- Knight. Use just a couple of shots for weight. They like the area where fresh water meets the salt. They might not be there but its worth finding out. Sort of depends on how big the bay is. If they are there try some flies. Check with the local fly shop. I think there is one on the island if I remember right.

Keep an eye open for herring schools. You can tell by the seagulls and herring gulls. If they show up, you want to go for salmon. several species are around usaully. Fish the with whole or cut herring spinners, or just try a larger spoon. Again ask the fly shop.

Best way to fish outside is to go to Jefferson Head. Call the WA Dept of Fish and Widlife and ask to speak to the biologist for the area. He'll tell you whats up and where. You can also prospect for cutthroat along sandy/gravelly beaches in 10 feet of water.

If you're bored and want some laxy action off your dock toss a baited herring in at dusk and do some chumming with more herring. The dogfish will arrive. Not much to eat but if you have kids, they'll be entertained.

By the way, I remember seeing lots of fishermen south of the Agate Pass Bridge on the West shore at several times in the year. My friend has done well there with flys. Talk to the fly shop about that. You don't want to miss out. Good luck.

Don't forget to get a license!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Saltwater Fishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: