Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Boat with no Propeller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: New Boat with no Propeller Reply with quote

I bought a boat recently and it has no propeller. It is a Volvo 280 leg with a 260hp. engine. My question is this, some outdrives come standard rotation and counter rotation. How do I tell and do I use a left hand propeller or a right hand propeller?
Lionhearted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: new boat and no propeller Reply with quote

I think I'd hook up an external water supply to the engine and outdrive while the boat is out of the water. Just like I was going to flush the engine after use in the saltwater. Then I'd run the engine and check the rotation of the shaft when someone shifts it into forward gear momentarily. Standing aft of the boat and looking at the shaft, if it turns clockwise (looking forward towards the bow of the boat) then it is set up for a right hand prop.
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: new boat and no propeller Reply with quote

Bubba, lionhearted gave you some very good advice. Most of the Volvo Penta powered boats I have serviced, came with a left handed Propeller. Volvo drive rotation can be changed simply by changing the shift linkage on the drive. They are made to run clockwise or counter clockwise. Other brand drive units have a different upper or lower gearcase specifically for reverse rotation.
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: New boat and no propeller Reply with quote

Ok, I checked the drive rotation and it is set up for a left hand propeller. My next question is, what size propeller do I use? I'm a bit confused about pitch and diameter. It's all Greek to me!
boatScotty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Boat propeller guides - choices Reply with quote

Here are a couple places to look

http://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/propSelector/home.do;jsessionid=93345

http://www.michiganwheel.com/
a site that will tell you all about terms and sizing.

Then just pick who you want to buy the prop from!

Good luck!

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volvo-Penta All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: