Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flyfishing in the South East

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthernFlyFisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Flyfishing in the South East Reply with quote

Well the Army moved me down to georgia and I am loving the heat, it sure beats -40 in Alaska but the fishing down here is completely different. I have been forced to forget everything I learned about salmon and trout in order to catch the occasional bass. Although the fishing still is totally different the fish down here put up a great fight. A three pound bass on a 7 weight rod feels like a 15 pound silver. And until you land a 6 pound bowfin you have no idea how much strain can be put on your forearms by one fish.

Here is a few things I have learned and /or discovered about fishing in the south:

All the fish down here are ambush predators, and want the most bang for their buck. Thus big flies fished increadibly slow over, under and around structure is a must.

Using a loop knott of sometype instead of a clinch knot gives your fly more lateral play on a slow retrieve.

Fish prefer almost dead prey to live scurying prey. I have caught two nine pound bass on frog patterns that I cast just let sit for about five minutes. The loop knot combined with a slight breaze (2-3 kts) gave the frog just enough play to entice the bass out of the reeds.

A weed guard is a must, and casting close to shore and in the lilies will pay-off.

Well that is all I got for now, I would really appreciate it if you have any ideas about fishing down here if you would post them so I could improve my catch to cast ratio.

Thanks in advance.
GeorgeK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Flyfishing in SouthEast Reply with quote

Welcome to Georgia. Good place to fish. I'd recommend trying out Lake Blue Ridge. You can catch Muskellunge as well as trout and of course bass. It's over 3000 acres and has 2 forest service campgrounds next to it. You should also try Lake Rabun and Lake Chatuge where you can catch trout.

You can ask around for which rivers are best for walleye, and bluegill as well. There are lots. Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flyfishing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: