Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winterizing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
6thunder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

I have a GM 8100 Vortec in my jet boat. It has a 3 stage Hamilton pump. I am trying to winterize it. On the exhaust manifold on the bottom on each side are 4 pipe plugs. I thouight this would be to drain sand and fresh water but when I took one out it is antifreeze. How do I get rid of the frsh water so it doesn't freeze and break something. Where does this fresh water come in. I know it goes out the exhaust but following the lines I can't seem to figure out the system, it all seems to be antifreeze but I know the fresh water has to pass by to cool. Can anyone tell me where I can see some pictures or instructions on winterizing?
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

Hello 6thunder, if there is antifreeze in the manifolds you have a closed cooling system. The only raw water in the system to drain is in the heat exchanger. Check your owner’s manual. Here is a link to give you a little insight on closed cooling systems. Click Here: Mrine cooling systems and Heat Exchangers
6thunder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

I don't have a manual and have been unable to get one from anyone so far. I know what the heat exchanger is,its got the rad cap on it? but it is full of antifreeze as well. Can you tell me where I should look for this drain like in a physical location.Thanks
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

The Heat Exchanger has two sides to it. Basically one side is full of antifreeze and the other side is the raw water side. Normally there is a little plug with a zinc anode. If you remove it, the raw water will drain out. If you can't find it there is a hose that T's off and goes to the exhaust manifold risers. That is also the raw water side.
6thunder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

Thanks I will look for that plug or pull the T hose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Engines All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: