Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

73 Johnson 65 HP Steering setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Unknown P

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: 73 Johnson 65 HP Steering setup Reply with quote

I purchased a used Blue Water Tri Hull and the way the steering cable is attached is different than the way they attach today. Has anyone successfully converted from the old steering hook up to the new way of doing it? The old way has a mount that is screwed into the Stanchion with two u style clamps that clamp a split metal ball around a tube, that has extremely large thread style grooves on the outside of it, and slides over the actual push\pull rod and then has internal(female) threads, that screw onto a male adapter, that is crimped onto the external sheath of the push\pull\steering cable. My cable is 12 feet, and todays hookup has it actually running through the motor mount and scewing a nut onto male threads on the side of the tube that runs through the motor mount and then with two rods that bolt onto the end of the push\pull rod attached to the cable and the motor. Now the old cable was seized and I had thought that the new one would attach to the motor in the same manner. It doesn't. My next question is: Should I have purchased a 14 foot cable and the rods to hook it up the new way or is there a new tube that will slide over the push\pull rod on the cable and have it's nut screw onto it? I'm sorry I don't know all the technical terms for this stuff. It's my first boat and although I am very mechanically inclined I see no way, other than manufacturing my own parts, of adapting the new cable to the old style. Thanks for any help and if you have any more questions please ask. Again thanks.
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Old Steering Reply with quote

Hello Unknown, there is a solution. I deal in old steering systems on a regular basis. However, there are a few questions I have. You may need several components, which we will need to discuss. Feel free to contact me at our toll free number below

800-998-9508
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Mike I solved the problem myself. Turns out the new steering cable nut is NPT and fits right onto a 1/2 inch pipe. So I simply cut the length I needed, threaded the nut onto the pipe, wrapped the split ball around the pipe and reinserted it into the stanchion mount. Tightened every thing. The cable slides nicely through the 1\2 inch pipe. Then I simply cut the end off the old cable that has the ball joint cup and sliding retainer and then bolted it onto the new cable and Voila instant steering adapter. Now I know that it's supposed to thread onto the motor mount(I don't know what the tube is called that has the thread on it that goes through the motor\stachion mount) and then on the end of that are bolted a couple of rods that canter back to the location of the original mount. The problem with that is that my tri-hull is V'd at the back and the motor sits much lower than the sides of the boat and so I would need to cut\modify the back of the boat and frankly I don't relish messing with the fibreglass and possibly reducing structural integrity. TTTFN.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do something like that once and I liked knowing if anything went wrong I could always fix it. Plus everytime I would look at it I'd feel good all over. Congratulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: