Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGM or lead/acid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucephalus1950

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: AGM or lead/acid Reply with quote

I have lead/acid batteries on my sailboat (400 amp hours) and am wondering if AGM batteries are worth the money. I understand the convenience of AGM's and the more rapid recharge than lead/acid types but can I expect a longer life for AGM's? What other considerations are there?
sailori38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Choosing Batteries - Lead/acid vs AGM Reply with quote

The single best reference I know is this...well written, complete and not to wordy! You should get longer life from AGM's, regardless of your use.

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/

I have gone from lead acid (late 80's) to Gels (early-mid 90's) to AGM's. There is a bit more to choosing AGM's than just getting the batteries - charging output, how you 'use' power and how you make it; all things being equal, AGM's are the way to go.

Go to the biggest 2 battery system you can get away with (I remember when I had 7 batteries; 2 starting, 5 house), better to just have two big batteries rather than 7 I had to monitor and manage.

Sailor Ingrid 38
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: