Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old cable steering stern connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Jackson

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Old cable steering stern connection Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they still make the cable fitting for coming out of the stern to the inboard-outboard where (from the outside) it looks like a ball type joint with a partial coverplate holding it in position. The grease fitting on the cover plate went away and now it is rusting and leaking but I can not tighten it up. It is 20 years old but the rest of the sys is not too bad. I'd rather not buy a whole new cable system.
Bad To theBone

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Ball Steering Reply with quote

I have been looking for over a year now for a new steerig system like this! I found a replacement cable system at go2marine! Give them a call at 800-988-9508
They offer an up grade kit that will replace your old obsolete OMC Ball Steering System.
Tom Jackson

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'll get ahold of them. Thanks for the help.
The Unknown P

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Ball joint Reply with quote

My ball joint is mounted directly on the motor. The motor is a '73 65HP Johnson and the new cables do not attach in the same way. They now attach through a tube(don't know the proper name for it) that runs through the motor mount on the top part of the mount(stanchion). Now my boat is a Tri Hull and there is no way I can hook my motor up using this method, as it would require extreme modification of the boat. The flat part of my stanchion is about two feet wide and then it V's up from there and so the hookup is in direct line with the rear edge(V) of the boat. So I would have to cut into the seam and compromise the structural strength. What I did was simply cut the end off the old cable, that has the spring loaded slide plate to go over the ball, making sure to retain the piece with the hole in it and then simply bolted this end to the new cable and Voila it's fixed as good as new. One other small note, if you are trying to adapt your motor steering from the old direct hookup to the ball under the motor then you need to be sure you get a cable that is at least a foot or two longer than the old one. TTFN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mechanical Steering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: