Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staring problems for a Mercruiser 7.4 liter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrboat96

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Staring problems for a Mercruiser 7.4 liter Reply with quote

Help please! This weekend after spending an afternoon on a 1988 26 foot SeaRay. I put the key in the boat to start it and it went on but the starting didn't shut off after the engine was running. So I move the key back to off and it wouldn't shut down I shut down all the battery power using the battery switch which shut it off. When I put the switch back onto to power the engine starter began again with no key in the boat. I couldn't fix it and got towed in.

Does any body have any idea or help for me?

Thank you guys!

MRBOAT Sad
Hal C

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Starting problems for 7.4 liter Mercruiser Reply with quote

Here's Darren's posting under Mercruiser, hope it helps:

Mr Boat, the problem can be in a couple of places, the first is the solonoid activation wire is constantly powered up through contact with a 12volt source, disconnect the switch wire and see if that helps, if it continues to crank over the problem will be in the solonoid itself or the starter is shimmed to tight and the flywheel is causing the starter drive to stay engaged and not release when the switch is turned off. The best fix if it turns out to be part of the starter is to replace the starter and solonoid as one. It has been my experience that if a part is bad the rest will not be far behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: