Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

140 Evinrude - Carb? What are the correct spark plugs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommytuttle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my appologies... this whole thing is a mess.. I have been unable to get to the cottage.. my dad and brother in law are playing with it and calling me.

Turns out althought they bought a new remote tank and put in 25 ltrs of fresh gas, they neglected to tell me they put the gas in the built in tank.

The boat worked so they thought it was a gas problem and never ran a separte tank.

They just told me the other day that they never tried the remote tank, and they are now convinced there is no spark.

Anyway...
I'm heading up tonight.

I have 4 new plugs (Champion) and will gap them to .030, bunch of tools, patients, a can of seafoam, a second battery, the info from this forum and a number for a good mechanic nearby (did some calling around this week). I'm going to pick up some gas line from an auto parts store.. (do you know what size the fitting on the motor is? I was thinking 1/2inch) so I can try the remote tank. (if I have the size wrong there is an autoparts store by the cottage 3/4 hour away.

I'm going to clean up some of the grounds. I'm going to try to remove the pickup line from the tank and see what condition things in there are like, and some of the other suggestions here.

I can imagine the powerpack is somewhat complicated. If what I outlined above doesn't work, or does not result in identifying the problem, I will probably have to bite the bullet and get a real mechanic to look at it.

Thank you all for your help.. just reading this forum and all the suggestions given here has been a great education for me.

Thanks
Tom
MikeW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Engine miss Reply with quote

Any time Tommy! Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.
tommytuttle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got up here last night. Put the powerpack back on (it had been taken off) cranked it over.. nothing. I checked for spark on all 4 cyl. and no spark (used a small spark type tool, pluged the spark plug wire in on one side, then grounded it to the block.. in the dark couldn't see any spark.

So... I haven't tried all the other stuff.. figure I don't want to put any seafoam in if it can't turn over and blow it all out.

So..I'll figure out how to get it on the trailer and take it in.

Is there any way to check the powerpak with an ohm metere or something?

Thanks
tommytuttle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.

Long story short. I have been relaying the instructions to my father who is at the cottage for the summer. Until recently I hadn't had a chance to get up there and work on it.

I thought he had a chance to run it on a new tank. But turns out all he did was fill up the boat with a new tank of gas. Bit of a mis communication. oh.. and the no spark... the kill switch was pulled by accident while moving a seat... lol.

I've been up two weekends in a row now trying different things so let me summarize again.

1 Deep Creep (sea foam spray)

Result was good, the motor was cutting out, running kinda half time or 2cyl, as I sprayed the deep creap in it seemed to clear.

2. Sea foam by sucking it in through the inlet tube to the motor. Waited 15 min. Started Motor and blue out the smoke. Later changed spark plugs.

3. looked at built in tank, dismantled the intake hose from the tank, there doesn't appear to be an uptake hose in the tank, and no anti syphon

So after all that and a full tank of gas it ran pretty good, except at wide open it studdered a bit...

So.. I ran a remote tank and it ran fine.

So... i reconnected the hose to the built in tank and added some gas line antifreeze.

Then I went back home.

During the week it was reportably hard to start on a number of occasions.. but would run ok... (avoided full throttle)

So back to the cottage friday

Saturday started but ran really rough.. (gas is now at less than 1/4 tank) noticed that the auto bailer didn't work ant there was a tonne of water in the boat, including submerging the fittings for the built in tank (which should be ok if sealed properly but made me wonder if there is a leak somewhere and excessive water is getting into the tank.

Anyway took out the primer bulb and took the boat out.. full throttle it woudl die out... if I left it in gear it would stay running but only half/ motor.

So I put the primer ball back in.

I pulled the filler tube fitting out and took pumped out some of the fuel into a clear container. very blue, no debris (thought perhaps that I would see peices of crud in there which may be blocking the inlet at times), nothing obvious was found.

So.. I topped up the tank with 25 ltrs of fresh gas, with one of those small bottles of gas line antifreeze.

Father took it for a spin, report back, ran great, full throttle fine, no cutting out, now ideling fine etc.

So.... questions to you experts.

1. I'm guessing I need to open up the inlet fitting.. perhaps the tub has dropped off and the motor is struggling to pick up fuel from the top (at the back) of the tank, once on a plane, the tank flattens out and getting the fuel is even more difficult?

2. pre mix... does gas and oil separate over time.. is it possible that there is too high a concentration of oil, built up over time.

3. with the connections submerged.. perhaps excessive water got in the gas, and the bailing of the boat combined with 25 ltrs of fresh gas cleaned up the mixture and therefore the water was more diluted?

If the gas was no good or the pick up tube gone.. wouldn't that be a problem just general running.. why would full throttle be a problem.

or are these all just coincidental, and the problem with the fuel pump?

This all makes the boat sound like quite the wreck but it has been a great boat at the cottage and no problem till now.

Any advise is appreciated, sorry for the long post but I just want to try to set it all strait.
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Engine miss Reply with quote

Hello Tommy, the fuel and oil won’t separate. It can get old and stale. I would remove as much as possible. Start with fresh gas and oil. I would also pull the pick up out of the tank and make sure it has a long tube attached to it. It should be clear and if there is a check ball, it must free. I would also make sure there are no cracks in the fuel line and make sure the fuel vent is not plugged.
tommytuttle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike,

When I pull the fitting that goes to the motor, I can not see a tube going into the tank. it just seems to have fuel at the top of the tank. There must be a pick up though, right? could it just have fallen out of the fitting. Maybe I can explain the fitting.. out of the tank is a 90 Degree fitting, threaded into the tank (male) , square, with another fitting (femail) to accept a bal type valve with a hose fitting, then the hose to the motor (via under the floor) with a hose clamp.

I pulled all the fittings and the 90 degree fitting but don't see how a pick up tube would fit with the male fitting (could it just be resting in the femail fitting on the tank with a flange or something... I will have to look again in a couple of weeks when I am back)

Good suggestion on pulling all the old fuel, there was very little left when I last filled it... which I think was part of my problem.

any suggestions on how i check for cracks in the fuel line... visual inspection? I guess I will have to pull them out of the floor... put a string on it or something so I can feed it back?

Thanks again guys for your help.

Tom
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Fuel problems Reply with quote

Hi Tommy, there has to be a pick up going deep into the fuel tank. Maybe you can send a picture of the fitting you pulled out. I would like to see the end that goes into the tank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: