Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 Four Winns Fling - clunking sounds when going forward

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheryl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: 94 Four Winns Fling - clunking sounds when going forward Reply with quote

Hi,
First, forgive me for not really understanding engines, mechanics, etc - when I first put my Fling in forward to go, sometimes, but not always, I hear a clunking/knocking sound - it sounds like it's coming from under the hull, seat area - not the engine, and when it is occuring my boat won't do more than idle, if I try to speed up it will stall, so I idle it forward for a few minutes then the clunking eventually stops and I can speed up - it's so weird. I just had the head gaskets replaced, engine welded and new starter so I'm wondering if this could be something the mechanics messed up? or what? Also, they installed a sand filter and I'm not sure how to open it up to check if there is anything in it - could this be the source of the problem? Any ideas on how to open, empty that sand filter thing? While I'm at it, starting it is always quite an ordeal - it takes alot of cranks to start - the ball on the gas tank is impossible to squeeze - it's like there is way too much pressure in the tank - is that normal? what do I do about it? Could the hard starting be a spark plug issue? I'm newly divorced and want to use this boat with my children and don't know anyone to ask for help without paying WAY too much to mechanics. Thank you so much!! Cheryl Sad
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: 94 Four Winns Fling Reply with quote

Cheryl,

Well, you seem to have more than one thing going on.

Are these the summery of the problems?

You hear clunking when engaging into drive – is it a ‘ratcheting’ sound? It appears that you are not engaging cleanly into drive. Shift it back to neutral and try engaging it again. You may need to adjust the shift/cable. They ‘may’ have put it back together with some misadjustment resulting in a shift issue.

The fuel bulb being firm is normal.
Hard starting is likely the result of the engine needing tuning. Here is my standard Tuneup, fuel solution…

A Tune up is always the first order of business with a rough running engine - it gives you a baseline to work from.

The first thing I will address is that 90% of all carb/fuel problems are electrical. I have sung this one before, but there are more things that go wrong, more often, with the electrical system than anything else. If I have a choice and am not sure – I always go with electronic/electrical over fuel.

Having said that,

Seafoam is the real deal. I hate witch potions BUT this one has consistently saved me. You can do a poor man’s carb ‘rebuild’ (cleaning it up) by;
1. Remove the fuel line and put it into the can of Seafoam.
2. Disconnect coil, you are not trying to start the engine.
3. Crank the engine over until you figure you have pumped in Seafoam instead of fuel.
4. Reconnect the fuel line
5. Crank it over for maybe, 30 seconds
6. Install some new plugs
7. Start her up

I have had very, very good success with this procedure for engines sitting for years! Then use the Seafoam, double strength on your last run of the year.

Let me know a bit more about your shifting. I hope that gets you back out on the water with some confidence.

Lastly, the sand filter should be unscrewable. The repairs you describe are familiar, did your X post here before?

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Johnson/Evinrude O/B All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: