Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best prop for 88 sea ray seville

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cumminspwr

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: best prop for 88 sea ray seville Reply with quote

I have a 1988 sea ray seville 20 with a 4.3 I currently have a 14 7/8 23 degree prop on it. It is a ballistics prop. The boat takes forever to plane and the rpm's are only 4,000. I am wanting to know what is the best prop for overall performance.
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: best prop fo 88 sea ray seville Reply with quote

Hello cumminspwr, You are definitly over prop'ed. I suggest you go with a 14-3/8 X 21 Ballistic. This will get the rpm's in the 4500 range and have a much better hole shot. You will even see better fuel economy. If you do a lot of skiing you may want to consider a 4-Blade Propeller. You can see various sizes at: High Speed Propellers

Mercruiser Propellers
http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/mfr/michiganwheel/mercruisersd.shtml
cumminspwr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will have a Ballistics prop for sale it is 14 1/2 or 7/8 I do not remember. 23 degree pitch.
cumminspwr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked the prop up on Ballistic site and it is a 14 3/8 x 21 prop. I was told when I bought it that it was a 23 deg. pitch. I went back to the stock prop. I bumped up the timing on the boat and it made a huge difference in the holeshot and topend speed. Max speed before 37, max speed now 45-47. I am going to enjoy this boat a little more now when I get it back together from my major overheating experience. I melted the tue from the impeller housing up and the impeller is trashed along with the imp. housing. I might not have this boat out again for a few years due to a possible career change and a $4.00 hour pay loss in the begining, but 7.50 more than what I make now when I top out at my new job.
Lonnie D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience and monkeyed around with the timing to dial things in better. Don't let that new job get in the way of using your boat or it is a step backwards
cumminspwr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always keep my boat. I will just have to skip a few meals and work a BOAT load of OT. I am weird I think,- I like to work. I work 7 days a week now and I love it. If I am not at my job which is almost always 7 days I will be in my garage working on a car or my boat. I cnnot set a wrench down.. The timing advance helped my boat out tremendously, I am going to advance it a little more and see what it does. I can always put it back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Props All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: